VP, Software Engineering
The VP of Engineering will be part of our technology leadership team & be responsible for leading the development & support of all products & platforms. This role will work with product & technology leaders across the organization to propose & evaluate technical solutions that meet core business requirements, & lead teams to design, develop, test & maintain software. This involves managing the demands of multiple projects on fast-paced schedules & building high-quality software with predictable releases.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead the global Software Engineering team across multiple locations.
- Responsibilities include using deep expertise in software engineering practices to create & implement strong practices across multiple teams in conjunction with technology leadership team.
- Lead the technology conversation in a cross-functional team to translate product, design & business requirements into well-realized deliverables. Work closely with product team to understand & anticipate business requirements, help draft & communicate technical decisions.
- Champion best practices for our technical team on development process, documentation, coding, error handling, testing, product quality, system performance, maintenance & support.
- Evaluate proposed technical solutions by weighing the risks, rewards & future implications of each decision & recommending the optimal technical path forward.
- Develop estimates of time & effort for new projects & track the progress of the technical team from inception through delivery so that we can release new products & features on time.
- Translate the product vision into a development strategy & shipped product while putting high quality, high performing systems in place to evaluate process against measurable criteria & objectives.
- Leveraging agile practices to help the engineering team improve, remove technical debt, & deliver value to our customers.
- Create & maintain synergies with Architecture team through discussions to innovate on well thought out designs quickly that can be iterated on in sprints.
- Advocate for the engineering team both internally & externally, as a thought leader at tech meetups, industry panels, & conferences.
- Communicate engineering plans, progress, & status throughout all levels of the company.
- Commit to a roughly 80/20 split between management & coding. Youll be expected to help your team not only at a technical level & through code reviews, but to advance their careers & streamline their working environment.
- Coach & mentor the engineering team, leading by example with our team values. Hold regular 1-on-1 meetings with engineering leads, conduct performance evaluations, & career development.
- Contribute to hiring plan for growing engineering in accordance with the product roadmap. Drive the Engineering recruitment process, inspiring the best engineers to join our team & implement a structured, skills-based interviewing standard across engineering layers.
- Partner with technology management team & the finance department in building & accounting for teams budget spending.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a related field with a strong technical background in software development.
- 15+ years software development experience; with 5+ years in managing Software Engineering teams.
- Experience managing multiple engineering teams.
- A technologically diverse background & the willingness/ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- Significant test automation experience, including TDD.
- A clear & effective communicator in both conversation & written word, deeply empathetic toward your customer.
- Comfortable with ambiguity & possess the experience to guide difficult conversations which result in clarity & achieving consensus.
- Strong understanding & knowledge of modern cloud-native architecture patterns, RESTful APIs & microservices.
- Experience with designing & developing robust, scalable web & back-end applications in the cloud.
- Data modeling, database design, & query optimization is a plus.
- Experience in web application security is desired.
- Excellent experience & knowledge in managing the complete lifecycle of enterprise software products.
- In-depth knowledge of software development processes & process design. Experience with the concepts behind agile methodologies & continuous integration/deployment.
- Proven experience managing the evaluation, selection, delivery & performance of technology solution providers & offerings.
- Proven experience leveraging & adopting software technology design standards, processes, methodologies, tools, & maturity models.
- Knowledge of industry trends, market influencers, regulatory environment & business strategy.
- Proven experience creating business-oriented presentations to communicate rationale for software architecture investments & concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, & verbal communication skills to demonstrate thought leadership, promote guidelines/standards, establish oversight controls, facilitate solution design review among cross-functional stakeholder groups, establish buy-in, build consensus, surface key requirements, mentor associates & drive change