About this Role
At Fandom, a DevOps Engineer will be part of our Fandom Tabletop Operations team. D&D Beyond is the official digital toolset for Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition & aims to enhance the D&D experience by making game management easier for players both at the table & between sessions. Players can create, manage, & keep track of characters, as well as browse all of the official rules in the compendium. Were also giving players the ability to create custom homebrew content to use in the toolset.
Our Fandom Tabletop Operations team is seeking an experienced operations engineer to join the Tabletop RPG team at Fandom & work on digital companions for the worlds greatest role-playing games. We are excited to take the next steps in realizing our extensive vision for Tabletop gamingcontinuing to bring the most convenience, customization, & captivation to the TRPG community we can.
- Write maintainable, high-quality infrastructure as code in a team-based development environment
- Use a shared code base with peer reviews & pull requests
- Assist with improving code integration & deployment processes
- Participate & occasionally lead planning, daily stand-ups, & retrospectives
- Adhere to & improve processes & coding standards
- Create & maintain project documentation
- Work in an environment where you have a direct influence on product & technical decisions
- Develop & maintain solutions for operational administration, system/data backup, disaster recovery, & security/performance monitoring
- Continuously evaluate existing systems with industry standards, & make recommendations for improvement
- Learn from & mentor other passionate engineers with diverse skill sets in a collaborative team environment
- Participate in on-call duties on a rotational basis.
- Delight millions of D&D & Cortex players who are eager to use our products
You will be successful here because...
- You solicit, accept, & give respectful & appropriate feedback
- You design & implement secure automation solutions for development, testing, & production environments
- You are capable of quickly troubleshooting complex problems, understanding dependencies, & deducing the root cause of issues.
- You advance team initiatives through action
- You do not fear failure
- Experience with scaling & monitoring production infrastructure for heavy user load, e.g. 1,000,000+ monthly active users.
- Experience using AWS services to manage globally distributed infrastructure.
- Experience implementing & managing relational or NoSQL databases in a production environment.
- Solid experience implementing & managing Amazon Web Services using Terraform/CloudFormation
- Experience building & maintaining continuous integrations & deployment pipelines.
- Profound knowledge in various scripting languages (e.g., shell scripts, Perl, Ruby, Python), system & server administration.
- Excellent judgment, analytical thinking, & problem-solving skills.
- You have run or played in your own Dungeons & Dragons or Cortex games.
- 5+ years of DevOps, System Operations, or Site Reliability experience.
- Proficient with networking protocols (OSI network layers, TCP/IP).
- Proficient in identifying & creating useful systems metrics needed to maintain performance & availability.
- Proficient knowledge of continuous integration tools such as AWS Codepipeline, Jenkins, Travis CI, Atlassian Bamboo.
- Knowledge of containerization technologies such as Docker and/or Kubernetes.
- Proficient in monitoring & logging tools (NewRelic, Datadog, CloudWatch).
- Proficient with managing & implementing various data platforms (SQL, NoSQL, etc).
- AWS / cloud infrastructure management & deployment
- Terraform / Cloudformation
- Apache / Varnish Configuration Language
- Site Reliability & Monitoring tools (Statuscake, Cloudwatch, NewRelic, etc)
- Docker / Kubernetes
- SQL / MySQL / NoSQL
- Python / bash scripting
- D&D/Tabletop gaming Interest/Passion
Bonus Points if You Have...
- AWS certification(s)
Benefits & Perks
- Stock options
- Health, Vision, Dental, & Life Insurance
- Flexible time off - flexible & generous
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Family Assistance Programs
- Employee Assistance Programs & Support
- Wellness Programs
- Loan-Assistance, money-management, pet insurance, & other discounts
- Phone, Gym, & commuter programs
- An international work environment with a startup culture
- Open, energetic & fan-focused, international work environment
- Miscellaneous perks such as, swag, etc.
Fandom is a global entertainment media brand powered by fan passion. Fandom has a global audience of almost 300 million monthly unique users & encompasses over 400,000 fan communities. We currently feature more than 55 million pages of content, inclusive of video. Our Fandom values are:
- We serve a global community.
Connection with our fans, creators, & partners is at our core, & its grounded by our active efforts of inclusion.
- We build experiences.
We imagine, improve, & deliver solutions.
- We bring joy.
We celebrate our fandoms, our teammates, & the work we do.
Learn More about Fandom
Fandom is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Fandom, one of our core values is We Serve a Global Community. Connection with our fans, creators, & partners is at our core, & it's grounded by our active efforts of inclusion. As such, we're proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, & we do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, political affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We invite you to complete the optional section below. This information will help Fandom with our reporting requirements & help us learn more about how we can increase diversity in our candidate pool. Completion of this section is entirely voluntary & has no impact on your opportunity for employment.