When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges & an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago & finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years & we operate in 14 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines & restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, & giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders restaurants & consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world & we do this in real time. Millions of customers & thousands of restaurants & riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And were just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at 7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking & travel to retail & communications - its clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FTs list of Europes fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, & we were the first company ever to win Deloittes UK Top 50 two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Reporting into the Head of Operations Strategy you are a major contributor to the output of the newly-formed Operations Strategy department. Your goal is to be central to the planning & execution of how France Operations works across multiple departments.
You are responsible for designing & executing improvements to our Operations Services team (consisting of Ops Services, Rider Onboarding etc...) while also supporting on strategic projects with our Planning & Analytics & Content & Engagement teams.
- Contribute to an environment of progression & continuous improvement across all of France Operations
- Collaborate across the department & the wider business to produce results
- Improve our service levels across all Ops departments by continually driving performance gains
- Actively seek problems to solve & quickly ship solutions
- Contribute to the design & audit of processes executed in the Ops Services department
- Drive down costs for the business through a thorough assessment of current processes & ways of working to identify efficiencies
- Analytical & strategic - able to think big as well as execute on-the-fly via understanding the dynamics of our business
- Can build stuff - approaches, processes, tools & structured change methodologies
- Effective communicator - able to disseminate ideas in a clear, concise manner to the relevant stakeholders
- Have an opinion - know your stuff & be prepared to debate it to arrive at the best solution for Deliveroo
- Inquisitive & forward-thinking - curious, thoughtful & happy to question the status-quo. Keeps pushing for further improvements
- Adaptable Fixer - enthusiastic, flexible & adaptable with the ability to remove barriers & bottlenecks via facilitation, creativity & resourcefulness. Dont slavishly follow processes if they arent right
- Stakeholder management - this team only succeeds if it can influence & persuade
- Workload management - able to prioritise work by considering the impact & scale of the work, as well as managing time effectively to meet deadlines
- Highly proficient in data analysis, a strong communicator & a trusted problem solver
- Advanced Excel skills required & experience with SQL & data visualisation applications preferred
- 1-2 years experience in consulting or similar high growth business preferred
Operations Strategy is a new department within France Operations. This team is being created in the context of ever greater automation of operations processes, of ever longer planning horizons for Deliveroo as a whole & the French business within that, & of the growing need to apply more structure & rigour to our thinking in French Ops.
Operations Strategy is responsible for low frequency, high impact project work pertaining to all elements of France Operations. This work will include longer-term projects to set the strategy for Rider Support, Applicant Support, Rider Onboarding, & Live Ops (all within Operations Services) as well as work focusing on efficiency gains, improving processes & better ways of working. The teams work is cross-functional & collaborative at its core.
The department is responsible for the vendor management element of our relationship with the new Operations Services department, ensuring we get the required level of service & performance from that new team.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, were always looking for new ideas & were very transparent about the decisions we make & why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer & plenty more we havent even encountered. How do data & technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - & there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth & personal impact is enormous.
Benefits & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business & we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away & relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners & because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed & able to share in the companys success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in & how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food & a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around