Cheddar is the leading post-cable news, media, & entertainment company & currently broadcasts two live video news networks: Cheddar, a business news network covering the most innovative executives, founders, products, & technologies transforming our lives & economy; & Cheddar Big News, a fast-paced, young, non-partisan general news & headline news network.
The company broadcasts from the trading floor of the New York Stock Exchange, its street level studio in the glass corner of the Sprint Store in the Flatiron Building, WeWork in Los Angeles, & the White House.
Cheddar was founded by Jon Steinberg, President & Chief Operating Officer of BuzzFeed from 2010 to 2014. Its investors include Lightspeed Venture Partners, Raine Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Liberty Global, Comcast Ventures, AT&T, Amazon, Antenna Group, Ribbit Capital, The New York Stock Exchange, Altice USA, 7 Global Capital, & Denstu Ventures.
About This Role:
Cheddar is looking for a hardworking & creative Associate Producer to develop segments for our live daily shows. The ideal candidate has experience in business & financial news, with a passion for stories in the technology & consumer sectors. You will be responsible for writing news updates & summaries, for researching topics for guest segments, creating relevant & attention-grabbing elements including b-roll, graphics, & lower thirds, writing clear & concise tease & intro scripts & pitching story ideas across for relevant shows. You will work closely with segment & line producers as they develop content & execute live programming. You should also have experience in a live-studio control room, running prompter, creating rundowns, & managing appropriate equipment. This role requires you to manage multiple tasks at one time, without compromising details. The successful candidate must be a self-starter & independent worker who is comfortable with varied schedules. At the same time, he or she must be adaptable & flexible, a team player who is able to mix easily & work effectively in our small, scrappy & highly collaborative team.
- Write news hits & updates for shows on Cheddar & our partners
- Assist segment & line producers with research for news segments & guest interviews (3-4 per day).
- Fulfill tasks, including running a prompter, live in the control room, 2-4 hours per day.
- Build show graphics & elements in rundown software (ENPS).
- Generate exceptional story ideas, including breaking news.
- Fill in for segment producers & production assistants during absences.
- Makes certain all elements (video & audio) meet quality standards.
- Experience in journalism & live production.
- 2+ years of live broadcast news & control room experience.
- Excellent research & writing skills.
- Strong grammar, copy editing & communication skills.
- Business & financial news writing experience preferred.
- Familiarity with ENPS or similar rundown program.
- Working knowledge of production & post-production techniques.
- Organizational skills & ability to work under tight deadlines.
Our Benefits & Culture:
The Cheddar team moves at lightning speed & our employees have the opportunity to make an extraordinary impact. We are growing fast & achieving milestones every day. Our team is direct, relentless, ethical, proactive, & different. All of our full time employees receive a competitive compensation & benefits package, which includes stock options, health, dental, & vision insurance, disability & life insurance, 401K, discounted gym membership, commuter benefits, generous paid leave, drinks & snacks, team events, happy hours, & more.
Cheddar is an equal opportunity employer, & we actively cultivate an inclusive workplace that celebrates diversity. We welcome all candidates & are committed to hiring people with a wide variety of experiences & backgrounds. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.