Zola is seeking an exceptional lawyer to join as its second in-house counsel. Named by Fast Company as one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2019, Zola is growing rapidly & looking for a business-minded lawyer that can work seamlessly with cross-functional teammates. This person would report directly to the head of our Legal Department. The role offers a rare breadth of exposure & experience that would be perfect for a sharp & flexible generalist. Fit & drive are critical. Zola is a place of self-starters filled with colleagues that combine drive, passion, & excellence with kindness, generosity, & a collaborative spirit.
Who We Are Looking For:
- Excellent drafting skills;
- Gets to the right point, quickly;
- Organized, meticulous, & reliable;
- Familiar with a wide range of contracts, standard clauses, & legal processes, & when unfamiliar, can learn quickly & efficiently;
- Able to reinterpret legal issues in a compelling fashion for a business audience;
- Solutions-oriented, consistently bringing a positive, can-do attitude to the work;
- Go-getter, hard worker, ready to hustle to get the job done;
- Inquisitive & proactive, always thinking of ways to improve legal & business processes;
- Adept at self-managing but also works well under instruction;
- Thrives in high-pressure, fast-paced environments & multitasks expertly;
- Hungry to learn, hungry to grow, hungry to solve big (and small) problems; and
- Team player, humble, flexible, no big egos!
- Work closely with marketing, merchandising, finance, product, & corporate teams to navigate regulatory, compliance, operational, & related matters;
- Address contract needs across the enterprise, including vendor, investor, talent, partner, non-disclosure & other agreements;
- Assist with managing IP assets & data issues (e.g., trademark, copyright, licensing, privacy, data security, etc.);
- Assist with dispute avoidance & resolution;
- Help develop & manage legal processes & organization, including contract management & records systems;
- Assist with other projects & responsibilities based on skills & needs of company.
- J. D from a top-tier law school.
- Active bar license, in good standing.
- 3-6 years of relevant experience, including law firm and/or in-house experience. Experience within, or working directly with clients that are, high-growth, venture-backed startups and/or ecommerce/consumer companies preferred.
- In your cover letter, please include two to three sentences on why you would like this job at Zola specifically. If you do not include this, you will not be considered.
We're Zola, the wedding company that will do anything for love. We're reinventing the wedding planning & registry experience to make the happiest moment in our couples lives even happier. From engagement to wedding & decorating your first home, Zola is there, combining compassionate customer service with modern tools & technology all in the service of love.
Based in NYC & launched in October 2013, we have quickly become the fastest-growing wedding company in the United States. In 2017 we launched Zola Weddings, a free suite of wedding planning tools including wedding websites, checklist, guest list, & registry, all in one place.
We've raised over $140 million in financing, & we're proud to call Thrive Capital, Canvas Ventures, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Comcast Ventures, & Goldman Sachs, among others, our investors & partners. Our team brings deep experience from working on beautiful, award-winning e-commerce sites & mobile apps in past roles at Gilt Groupe, Amazon, Bloomingdales, Gap, J.Crew, Toys R Us, Chloe + Isabel, Yahoo, & Host Committee, among many others.