Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
Self-paced Online Course Mentor: Data Analysis
In this self-paced online course, learners gain the skills to gather, analyze, & tell stories through data with SQL, Excel, & visualization. Theyll put those skills to practice through SQL challenges & projects, & receive 1:1 mentor guidance to keep them moving forward.
The Data Analysis Mentor role is an opportunity for you to give back & help others learn your area of expertise. This role is responsible for guiding a comprehensive foundation that equips learners with the context, process, & tools to identify & communicate data-driven insights using Excel & SQL. You should be an expert in Excel, well-versed in SQL, & an excellent communicator with a unique design mindset for building effective data-driven presentations & influential data dashboards.
We are looking for a mentor to lead this transformative experience; someone who is passionate about teaching & interested in guiding our learners to success.
Skills & Qualifications
- 2+ years experience in data analysis, statistics, or other related field
- Data analysis skills required (i.e. pivot tables & development of simple data queries)
- Exceptional skills in Excel
- Advanced knowledge of SQL, specifically SQLite, or comparable analytical tools
- Knowledge in building & maintaining reports that pull data from multiple data sources
- Must complete & pass Data Analytics level 1 assessment
- Strong desire to help others learn by sharing your personal knowledge & helping problem-solve
- Be articulate. We're counting on you to present data analyses in an easily digestible & insightful way for both policy & practical applications
- Previous teaching or mentoring experience is a plus
- Facilitate 1:1 mentorship sessions following GAs model for inclusive, effective coaching.
- Prepare for sessions based on learners needs, as assessed via a pre-survey.
- Provide learners with meaningful feedback on their progress & their projects.
- Share third-party resources to support learning.
- Inspire learners to persevere through the challenges of turning their ideas into data dashboards or data-driven presentations
- Empower learners with the tools & confidence to successfully complete & pass the Data Analytics level 1 assessment
- Be communicative. Collaborate with other mentors & management to share ideas & feedback to provide an exceptional learning experience.
- Summarize the outcomes of sessions & reflect on feedback in order to continue to grow as a mentor.
Who You Are
- Patience, empathy, & communication are your greatest strengths
- You are excited & eager to shape the skills, minds, & trajectories of the newest generation of data analysts
- Proactive, engaging, & a team player - you are always finding ways to help those around you
- You revel in efficiency, & innovatively come up with solutions to better processes & systems
- You are exceptionally organized & responsive
- 10-20 hours a week
- Flexible schedule
- Work Remotely - Must be US or UK based