Complex Networks is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed
Complex Networks is a global youth entertainment network spanning major pop culture categories including streetwear & style, food, music, sneakers & sports. Complex Networks is diversified around three pillars: advertising, e-commerce, & content where it creates & distributes original programming for Gen Z & Millennial audiences through premium distributors such as Netflix, Hulu, Turner, Corus, Facebook, Snap, YouTube, Roku & more. Additionally, Complex Networks generates revenue through a number of core business lines, including branded content & advertising, licensing, events, e-commerce, & agency consulting services.
Complex is seeking a News Editor to join our editorial team. Reporting directly to the News Director, the News Editor will assign, edit, & publish stories for the Complex editorial news team. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience in daily news coverage, as well as understands the Complex brand & audience. This is a freelance position, with a schedule of Monday-Thursday daytime shifts, & Sunday evening shifts.
- Assign, edit, & publish news stories that meet Complexs editorial standards from a qualitative & brand standpoint
- Work closely with News Director to increase quality, efficiency, & performance of news stories
- Communicate with news writers to ensure they are properly drafting write-ups that highlight the main elements of the story
- Collaborate with Social team to maximize reach of news coverage through social media platforms
- Write news stories when necessary, as well as update news stories when appropriate
- Write daily video scripts for news stories to increase engagement
- 2 years of editing & 4+ years of writing & reporting experience at a publisher or website
- A newshound approach to tracking down news stories using a wide range of resources
- Sound editorial judgment & a deep knowledge of the Complex brand
- Exemplary written & communication skills
- The ability to work under pressure & hit deadlines while maintaining quality work
- A strong understanding of SEO best practices & experience working in a CMS
- A positive & winning attitude working with a team, & can also work independently with little to no supervision
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news & entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, & original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News & HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.