About the Team
The R&D Soft Product Innovation Team at Harrys is responsible for all personal care category launches from concept to market. We are a team of researchers & product developers who are on a mission to create things people like more. And now, we are building our own internal formulation laboratory in Wayne, NJ to further our innovation wheelhouse. As our brands continue to grow, the Soft Product Laboratory will be a key driver for new product innovation & continuous improvement, raising the bar for product excellence.
About the Role
As the pioneer team member of the Soft Product Laboratory, the Senior Chemist will help lead the global development of new product introductions, & play a key role for improvement of multiple personal care categories for the Harrys, Flamingo, & Headquarters brands, in very close partnership with the PD Team. You will help bring products to market that meet our customers needs, true to all our brand positionings. You will also help maintain quality of our current product portfolios & improve efficiencies with supplier relations.
We seek a strong team player with a passion & appreciation for creating products that drive performance with pleasing aesthetics, & rigor to meet challenging timelines. The candidate should be energized by working in a fast-paced, creative environment, & have prior formulation experience in consumer beauty products, with a desire to build a foundation for future growth.
Over time, the Senior Chemist will help build & lead a team to support additional brands.
What you will accomplish:
- Participate as a key stakeholder in the concept ideation process for the innovation pipeline.
- Create innovative formulas that meet performance & aesthetic briefs, within defined pricing & timeline allotted. Personal care categories include body, face, & hair.
- Assess & track formulation performance, according to stability guidelines & applicable regulations.
- Demonstrate creativity & resourcefulness in proactively identifying & proposing solutions to issues that may arise during product development or in transfer to manufacturing
- Maintain close awareness of scientific literature, patents, raw material technology, processing methodology, & marketing trends required to perform innovative product development.
- Attend sourcing trips, pilots, first production as needed.
- Identify & manage opportunities for continuous improvement of current portfolio- includes root-cause analysis, cost-savings initiatives, & tech transfer assistance as needed.
- Work cross-functionally & manage third-party relationships to execute on improvement strategies.
- Develop stability protocols & manage in-house stability
- Build upon the laboratory process & oversee a safe & orderly laboratory environment.
- Ensure precise lab notebook record keeping- including formulations, processes, specs, & conclusions are reported to the R&D network. Manage raw material stocks & packaging inventory, ensure traceability of all needed information.
This should describe you:
- Product Developer at heart Excited by new products, technologies, formats, & how they interact with one another to create the ultimate user experience, down to the last detail, have pride in the work & development of creating things.
- Creative problem solver - Energized by puzzles, & can't sleep until a solution is found.
- Life-long learner: Hunger for knowledge, admits when they dont know the answer & diligently works to find it.
- Proactive doer: Gets things done before being asked to do them.
- Process/systems builder: Creates new systems/processes so that every detail has a place & every place has its detail
- Relentless commitment to achieving goals & objectives: Won't give up until key stakeholders align & commit (internal colleagues & external suppliers), maintaining positive relationships for long term success
- Professional, enthusiastic, a solid team player & possess a drive for results.
- Extremely organized, dependable & self-motivated with the ability to excel in a hands-on, fast paced environment.
- You thrive on direct, honest, & supportive communication.
- You are always thinking about how to help the teammates around you excel
- To you, theres nothing more exciting than a new challenge
- Sense of humor -- we take our work seriously & ourselves un-seriously
Here's who you'll work with:
- Youll report into the Senior Director of Soft Product Innovation
- Youll work with internal teams including Product Development, Product Research, Packaging, Quality, Project Management, Sourcing & External Suppliers & Contract Manufacturers.
- Bachelors in Chemistry, Biology, or related field of science
- Proven track record of high level performance with 8-11 years of experience in cosmetics, personal care, or health & beauty industries.
- Direct experience working in dynamic teams, driving process, interacting with vendors & key partners to ensure delivery of projects against aggressive timelines.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities & negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively at all levels in the organization & with suppliers to manage multiple projects & changing business needs.
- Responsible, dependable, self-starter/proactive with strong initiative.
- Willing & able to travel (post-Covid) as needed - domestic & international.
Harrys started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harrys expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, & launched a womens brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, Harrys team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback. Come for the coffee & free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.