ABOUT FANDUEL GROUP
FanDuel Group is a world-class team of brands & products all built with one goal in mind to give fans new & innovative ways to interact with their favorite games, sports, teams, & leagues. Thats no easy task, which is why were so dedicated to building a winning team. And make no mistake, we are here to win, but we believe in winning right. That means well never compromise when it comes to looking out for our teammates. From our many opportunities for professional development to our generous insurance & paid leave policies, were committed to making sure our employees get as much out of FanDuel as we ask them to give.
FanDuel Group is based in New York, with offices in California, New Jersey, Florida, Oregon & Scotland. Our brands include:
- FanDuel A game-changing real-money fantasy sports app
- FanDuel Sportsbook Americas #1 sports betting app
- TVG The best-in-class horse racing TV/media network & betting platform
- FanDuel Racing A horse racing app built for the average sports fan
- FanDuel Casino & Betfair Casino Fan-favorite online casino apps
- FOXBet A world-class betting platform & affiliate of FanDuel Group
- PokerStars The premier online poker product & affiliate of FanDuel Group
Our roster has an opening with your name on it
The FanDuel platform handles tens of thousands of requests a second across hundreds of services; its absolutely critical to the companys success that this platform remains available & rapidly scalable & the DevOps team have a leading role in making that happen. Our growing team features a diverse range of skills, from generalist to specialist, but one thing our team does have in common is a deep understanding of how our system works & hangs together.
You are considered a technical leader on your team. You work efficiently & routinely deliver the right things with limited guidance. Your work focuses on complex, ambiguous problem areas in existing or new initiatives. You take the long term view. You consider where each system is at in its life-cycle & where appropriate, proactively fix architecture deficiencies. You make existing systems simpler (e.g. by consolidating redundant systems, deleting unnecessary code, or removing/updating out of date documentation). You are able to take the lead on large projects that require the work of your team. You know how to divide a project into parallel work that can be performed by you & other engineers & then reassembled successfully into a cohesive launch. You enjoy coaching & developing other engineers' technical skills.
THE GAME PLAN
Everyone on our team has a part to play
You use technology to solve straightforward problems, seeking input & guidance from team members. You may create or have responsibility to improve or invent small tools or applications. You are able to take defined design & turn it into code & deliver it on schedule, applying appropriate technologies & current software engineering best practices. You write secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects. You are proficient in a broad range of data structures & algorithms, knowing when it is appropriate to use them & when it is not. You make appropriate implementation trade-off decisions. You participate in team design, scoping & prioritisation discussions. You seek to learn the business context & technologies behind your team's software. You work effectively with other team members & identify any opportunities/problems arising from technical decisions. You invent, refine & develop your solutions to ensure they are meeting customer needs & team goals. You are a passionate advocate for your customer.
- You take ownership of team architecture, providing a system-wide view & design guidance.
- You make things simpler.
- You write simple, exemplary code that motivates team write quality code & following best standards.
- You drive engineering engagement best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) & set standards.
- You work to resolve the root cause of endemic problems including areas where your team limits the innovation of other teams (bottlenecks). This may require you to influence software decisions made by other teams.
- When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward & influence others to follow that path (build consensus).
- You actively recruit & help others leverage your expertise, by coaching & mentoring in your organisation (or at your location).
- You provide technical assessments for promotion to Sr. SE & Lead SE.
- You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge & the engineering practices.
- You ensure your team is stronger because of your presence, but does not require your presence to be successful.
- You push changes to production within the first week.
- You build, deploy & maintain the architecture thats critical to FanDuels success.
- Learn from others, & be a coach & mentor to other engineers, irrespective of experience.
- Guide continuous deployment as an active member of the development team.
- Write software that enables our engineering team to push changes to development, performance testing, & production environments dozens of times a day.
- Explore a multitude of technology to solve complex problems.
- Work in collaboration with development work-streams to provide operational consultancy on behalf of the infrastructure team.
- Reflect our values in day-to-day working.
What were looking for in our next teammate
- Experience of managing team functions & objectives, developing deliverables & capacity planning
- Manage a team of DevOps Engineers working to deliver technology solutions to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Your team owns multiple technology systems, & you will own the day-to-day management of those systems, where you are accountable to the customer experience, project prioritisation, software quality, & system maintenance.
- You make sure your team develops the right solutions & utilise the processes & facilities available to make connections to customers working with your Lead Engineer to help drive these solutions.
- You help DevOps Engineers grow by encouraging them to contribute to cross-team technical discussions, supporting their ideas, & empowering them to make decisions.
- You have a solid understanding of the design approaches & industry technologies utilised by your team.
- You will help make trade-offs; balancing the larger picture (e.g, resourcing, business goals, user experience, dependency impacts, efficiency, availability, etc.) against the needs of building, maintaining, refactoring, scaling, & extending features to properly support the life of the technology. You make sure your DevOps Engineers are able to spend adequate time on design & you seek their (and the Lead Engineer's) input on technology recommendations.
- Responsible for delivering architecturally sound solutions in the absence of a highly experienced individual contributor.
- You can handle most problems, decisions & escalations providing realistic solutions to mitigate long-term risks.
- You will write tenets & clear documents around establishing best-practice processes.
- Responsible for taking part in the recruitment process identifying the best candidates & providing a great candidate experience.
- Experience & passion for building distributed, highly scalable & available backend systems & APIs with our teams of Software Engineers.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, & drive.
- Demonstrated experience in shipping high quality products & services.
- Able to communicate technical concepts simply & successfully.
- Maintain relationships with other disciplines & stakeholders.
- Responsible for the state of the code & infrastructure you both inherit & produce.
- You write simple & extendable code following standards & best practices. You test your code thoroughly.
- You drive infrastructure best practises within the DevOps team, & drive your stakeholders in adopting those best practises.
- You classify, store, & handle data in accordance with FanDuel policies.
- You track security risks & mitigate and/or escalate them in a timely manner.
- You clearly document your software to ensure that future generations of developers understand the intention behind the features & components you build.
- You are an active member of on-call rotations, taking a leadership role where required during incidents.
- In the event of a problem, you are able to troubleshoot, research the root cause of problems, & thoroughly resolve defects.
- You provide excellent support to a technical & non-technical audience, both within your team & amongst other senior engineering stakeholders & leadership.
- You will keep yourself up to date with market standards & open-source frameworks.
- Most importantly, be; humble, pragmatic, self-managed, thirsty for knowledge, never satisfied & always challenging the norm.
- Experience with scaling systems.
- Able to represent the needs of the DevOps team to the wider business & third parties, managing expectations and
- Enjoy solving challenging problems with highly trafficked architecture.
- Deep Linux systems administration skills, including python or ruby scripting experience.
- Complex cloud architecture experience, being able to readily cite reference architectures or best practises.
- Configuration management design, implementation, migration experience.
We treat our team right
Competitive compensation is just the beginning. As part of our team, you can expect:
- An exciting & fun environment committed to driving real growth
- Opportunities to build really cool products that fans love
- Mentorship & professional development resources to help you refine your game
- Flexible vacation allowance to let you refuel
- Hall of Fame benefit programs & platforms
FanDuel Group is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity & inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect & value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgement or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.