At Oscar, we are re-envisioning healthcare by bringing technologists & industry experts together. We believe that great technology can revolutionize the operations & infrastructure underlying todays healthcare & insurance systems, & is key to delivering transformative experiences for our members & the medical experts who provide their care. Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design, making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, & language theory. We invest in our people, our tools, & our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
As the VP, Engineering Platform, you will oversee the teams responsible for our core data systems & the logical services that define our fundamental business processes. Your primary responsibility will be to grow & lead a world class engineering team, & ensure they have everything they need to be successful. As part of Oscars leadership team, you will inform & align your teams around strategic decisions & ensure we are operating on the right vision, strategy, & roadmaps to solve our most pressing problems. In addition, you will manage roadmaps, timelines, & overall execution in your organization; ensure smooth cross-team & cross-departmental collaboration; & ensure consistent performance management.
Sample projects the platform teams are tackling:
- Provider data & network intelligence. Provider data represents our most complex ETL pipeline & classical problems abound missing, invalid, & incorrect data; reconciliation of conflicting data across multiple sources; need for both batch & online updates; fuzzy entity matching; confidence measurement; quality signal development; recommendations; etc. We are building a high-quality national provider database & the tooling for managing & evaluating our networks on top of a clean data store.
- Claims Processing. We are in the midst of building & incrementally rolling out a new claims processing system that will drive scalable business processes as well as innovative product development. This is a multi-year, multi-team effort that spans the core of our business including member data, health plan design, provider network information, claims pricing, fraud/waste/abuse detection, billing & payments. We are seeking to automate as close to 100% of our processes as possible, with sub-second latency end-to-end. Challenges include complexity management, compositional architecture, language theory, statistical modeling, etc.
- You are passionate about analyzing & helping solve deep technical challenges, & share our fundamental belief that the proper application of technology & data are critical levers in transforming the US healthcare system.
- You have 15+ years of software engineering experience, including a proven record of successful leadership in data-intensive engineering organizations.
- You have deep experience with modern technologies, architectures & agile development methods, & are comfortable (excited by?) operating in complex, fast-moving environments.
- You have 8+ years of people management experience & can effectively mentor senior leaders on management & technical tracks.
- You have a track record of building high-functioning teams & can help us attract, develop, & retain the best engineering talent in the industry.
- You make people & teams around you better through direct yet kind feedback, effective mentorship, & proactive collaboration.
- You are neither territorial, nor build-an-empire oriented, but rather think, operate & lead toward doing what is best for the company. And you take your teams with you on that journey.
- You understand the inclusion part of Diversity & Inclusion & can help us improve & maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail, & everyone feels safe & heard.
- The platform group is approximately 60 engineers & were planning to scale to 100+ over the next year. Were looking for someone who has experienced that scale & growth rate to help us build the team successfully while continuing to enhance our approach to work.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background & perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policyhere.