SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
HARNESS DESIGN ENGINEER (STARLINK)
One of the most ambitious missions that SpaceX has undertaken to date, the Starlink satellite constellation will provide reliable internet to the entire world. As a Harness Design Engineer on the Starlink team, you will own harness design from concept & component selection, through to production, qualification, & system integration. This exciting multidisciplinary roles will give you unparalleled exposure to the overall high level product/vehicle you work on.
- Develop the electro-mechanical design of wire harnesses within our family of Starlink vehicles and/or gateway antennas
- Develop harness design solutions within a 3D NX CAD environment, & manage technical trade studies to meet stakeholder objectives as well as adhere to internal design standards & requirements
- Generate electrical schematics to support both flight & qualification designs
- Own vehicle-level harnessing mechanical assemblies & drive to closure all systems integration trades related to those assemblies
- Perform analysis & physical testing (both mechanical & electrical) of harnessing with respect to thermal, loads, vibration & shock to ensure full qualification for flight
- Document & communicate the design, analysis & testing results thoroughly & clearly via design reviews
- Create & release on schedule, appropriate harnessing manufacturing documentation & drawings
- Interface with harness production & integration teams to ensure final harness designs can be produced & installed on schedule in accordance with overall project goals
- Perform R&D investigations & trade studies to push wire harness design to new boundaries in terms of mass & cost savings
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of electro-mechanical wire harness design experience (internships, student projects, & professional experience qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proficiency with Siemens NX & Teamcenter
- Experience with wire harness 3D design, wire harness installations drawings & formboard creation, wiring diagrams, 3D modeling of complex top-level assemblies, 3D modeling & analysis of avionics enclosures & secondary structure
- Wire harness component selection & qualification experience
- General wire harness analysis, testing & qualification experience
- Strong team working skills with a proven ability to effectively interact & collaborate with other engineering disciplines & excellent attention to detail
- Capability to solve complex design problems to tight schedules with minimal supervision
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry & space exploration, with a strong desire to revolutionize wire harness design
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, & demanding start-up atmosphere
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Strong sense of personal accountability & drive to succeed
- Willing to work extended hours & weekends as needed
- Willing to travel up to 30% of the time
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.