At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the worlds largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects & accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance & a decrease in spam & other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer & named to Entrepreneur Magazines Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious & empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves & learning new skills, & we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse & inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential & support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
What Youll Do
Cloudflares business requires a world class legal team to help the company deal with complex matters by anticipating complications & distractions, & guiding the company around those obstacles. Were looking for a new team member who can help foster our unique corporate philosophy & approach, in which the security & privacy of our customers are paramount. This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter & strategic thinker, who has a thirst for knowledge & continued growth, all while working as part of a great team.
We are looking for an exceptionally talented, energetic & friendly trade compliance attorney to join our legal team based either in Austin, TX or Washington, DC. You will play a key role advising on Cloudflares export, import & sanctions compliance programs, as well as providing legal support for our broader trade compliance initiatives. The perfect candidate is passionate about trade compliance & can channel that passion into solving complex problems & novel legal issues in a fast-paced environment. As part of the job, you will:
- Provide advice & counseling on a range of trade compliance issues, including import/export requirements applicable to our portfolio of Cloudflare products, services, & technology, sales & operations, partner & vendor relationships, & supply chain & distribution.
- Counsel & advise on import & export compliance matters related to U.S. & international trade regimes.
- Manage classification & export licensing of Cloudflare products, services, & technology under US & international export & import regulations.
- Counsel & advise on activities relating to U.S. & international sanctions regimes.
- Assist in the design & implementation of company-wide compliance programs & initiatives, including compliance policies, processes & training.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, such as Supply Chain, Billing, Policy, People, Product, & Finance to coordinate compliance programs & initiatives.
- Facilitate periodic risk assessments & monitoring of the trade compliance program.
- Keep informed of new laws, regulations, & industry trends affecting the Company.
- Undertake special projects & support other compliance program initiatives.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge & experience
- JD degree with strong academic credentials.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. state.
- Open to non-attorney candidates with strong trade compliance manager experience.
- 4+ years relevant experience working on trade compliance in-house or at a Vault 100 law firm
- Expertise with import/export of software & encryption is highly desirable.
- Preferred but not required: Licensed Customs Broker
- Detail oriented, well organized & technically-adept
- The ability to manage multiple matters / projects for multiple teams.
- The ability to work in a team, with lawyers & non-lawyers, to establish effective solutions efficiently & in an amenable manner
- Excellent written & oral communication skills
- Experience developing & presenting training to employees & managers a plus
- Ability to draft documents, policies, messages & anything else in a very precise manner, while still being concise & digestible for non-lawyers.
- An ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment & call out issues when needed.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
Were not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. Were a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free & open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically & artistically important organizations & journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflares enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state & local governments have the highest level of protection & reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information & voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something youd like to be a part of? Wed love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people & place great value in both diversity & inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.