Shutterstock seeks a strategic thought leader responsible for customer insights & user experience research. As a Director, Research, youll be an important leader of Shutterstocks research strategy & operations to support research as a regular practice throughout the product development cycle. Achieving this goal requires close collaboration with Designers, Directors, VPs, & other stakeholders throughout the organization.
We believe great products are built by deeply understanding our customers who they are, what motivates them, why they behave the way the do, & what they think of our brand, our products & our competitors. Working closely with UX, product & marketing, the Director, Research candidate will develop the strategic market research function for Shutterstock, including identifying organizational needs & opportunities relative to customer & market health, revenue generation, mission delivery, & customer experience. This includes in-house execution for both quantitative & qualitative research across all businesses.
As part of the Shutterstock UX & Product Design team & Marketing Group, the team designs the business & all the customer & contributor experiences. We are responsive & know what our customers are doing & what platform theyre doing it on. We think globally & advocate for the individual. That means quantitative, qualitative & analytical research. It also means a lot of collaboration with product owners & developers. And because were agile, we are quick on our feet & know how to iterate. But most of all we are compassionate - we want to solve problems & solve them with integrity.
The Director, Research will establish & drive the overall CX & UX research strategy across the Product organization & Shutterstock platform. This is a senior-level role with significant responsibility, creativity, expertise, & business sense required.
- Drive research strategy, including research operations, & bring market insights to life to support product development, life-cycle planning, & commercial strategies for existing & new products
- Serve as the voice of the customer & act as a customer experience advocate who is passionate about observing & understanding our users
- Lead & project manage primary & secondary market research efforts, as well as secondary data analysis to facilitate evidence based decision making on marketing strategies
- Develop in-house quantitative & qualitative research studies including method design & sampling, survey design, programming, fielding, & quality checking
- Design in-house qualitative research such as drafting discussion guides, recruiting, & moderating both in person & online - part of overseeing the Usability Lab
- Identify unmet research opportunities that can add value & efficiently execute them, & evangelize research throughout the organization
- Minimum 8-10 years working in marketing research & data analysis, and/or UX research
- Bachelors or Masters in Advertising, Research, HCI, Psychology, Social Science, Interaction Design, Statistics or related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree)
- Research supplier/vendor or agency experience preferred (or ability to demonstrate hands on experience)
- 5+ years of experience leading & managing teams of researchers with strong domain expertise across career
- Expert-level understanding & experience with primary & secondary research & analytics (offline & digital) with the ability to integrate data from multiple sources to form cohesive insights
- Strong expertise & experience in performing surveys in-house, & knowledge of advanced survey design & statistics
- Deep knowledge & experience running qualitative research methodologies used throughout each stage of the product development cycle (i.e. Ethnographic Studies, Moderated 1:1 Interviews, Focus Groups, Competitive Analysis, Benchmark studies, etc.)
- Mastery with survey programming & research tools such as Qualtrics & Usertesting.com
- Experience managing research to determine the voice of the customer, brand & communications research, product research related to optimization of current products, & development & design of new products & services in alignment with identified customer needs & expectations
- Excellent listening, speaking & writing skills to articulate your decisions & research process
- Respectful when challenging assumptions, & give & receive feedback with equal grace
- Incredibly organized & comfortable using project management tools
Shutterstock (NYSE: SSTK), directly & through its group subsidiaries, is a leading global provider of high-quality licensed photographs, vectors, illustrations, videos & music to businesses, marketing agencies & media organizations around the world. Working with its growing community of contributors, Shutterstock adds hundreds of thousands of images each week & has millions of images & video clips available.
Headquartered in New York City, Shutterstock has offices around the world & customers in more than 150 countries. The company also owns Bigstock, a value-oriented stock media agency; Shutterstock Custom, a custom content creation platform, Offset, a high-end image collection; PremiumBeat a curated royalty-free music library; Rex Features, a premier source of editorial images for the world's media; Webdam, a cloud-based digital asset management service for businesses.
For more information, please visit www.shutterstock.com & follow Shutterstock on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram.
Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V