Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games & media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The companys platform empowers mobile game developers & players with democratized access to fun, fair & skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the worlds 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies & CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes Next Billion-Dollar Startups & Entrepreneur Magazines 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017 Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, & professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, & a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, & Sacramento Kings.
What you'll do:
- Add exciting new features to our world-class tournament server platform enabling competitions, tournaments & social features for players, spectators & streamers around the world
- Work with a variety of amazing cloud-based datastore technologies on AWS such as ElasticSearch, Redis, DynamoDB, MySQL RDS & Redshift
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building great products as much as you do
- Experience in one or more backend languages such as Java, C++, or C#
- Experience with MySQL or other RDBMS databases including design & optimization
- Experience building Spring based RESTful web services & NoSQL databases is a plus
- Experience with AWS or other cloud provider is a huge plus
- Familiarity with DB ORM (Jooq or Hibernate) & caching frameworks (Caffeine or Guava) is a nice to have.
Skillz embraces diversity & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.