Join Enigma to lead & build the engineering team of our public data subsidiary, the Enigma Data Labs [working title]. Since its founding, Enigma has collected hundreds of public sources of data & made them available for free. Our goal is to expand this strategy & release hundreds of more value-added public datasets to fuel new projects in enterprises, research in the public & academic sectors, & the creation of new businesses. While this subsidiary is expected to be profitable, the primary mission is to release as much well-structured & programmatically usable data as possible, for free, to as many people & entities as we can.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic leader who is entrepreneurially minded & passionate about data. This role is particularly unique as this person will play the leading role in building out the founding technical team focused on growing this newly formed subsidiary of Enigma outside of NYC. The engineering culture will develop around this leader, enabling this person to assemble a team of dedicated data experts, lay the groundwork for a culture of delivery, design & execute a roadmap to grow our public data asset, & partner with key stakeholders to meet major business growth milestones. In addition, note that you & the team are expected to be located in a smaller city in the United States (not NYC or SF), so this is a great opportunity to explore that kind of move.
Were looking for someone who has:
- You have proven experience building a data operation to facilitate data product development and a track record of developing & cultivating a new operation from inception, including but not limited to engineering recruitment, culture growth, mentorship, team roadmap design, etc.
- You have direct experience & knowledge of the data landscape & have led or been part of a team to launch a data product into an enterprise vertical.
- You are an exceptional team builder, can run a competent interview process, & can build & manage a high-performing engineering team.
- Bonus points if you have experience outsourcing to off-shore teams & leading a distributed organization.
- Partner with Enigma Leadership to create the technical roadmap & hire the right engineers into it.
- Be an Enigma culture carrier as an extension of the Enigma brand
- Strong product instincts & sensibility toward making usable products, particularly B2B data products.
- Leadership qualities that align with Enigmas cultural values of generosity, curiosity, ingenuity, & drive.
- A passion for building & leading by example, taking a hands-on approach while considering the bigger picture.
- Extensive experience building ETL pipelines.
- Familiarity with common data problems & how to solve them (e.g. web scraping, unicode issues, transposed data).
- Passionate about data generally, & particularly the potential of free or substantially cheaper data & the impact it can have on society.
- Familiarity with the data industry in Finance, Healthcare, Insurance or Retail, a strong preference.
At Enigma, were building the single, most reliable source of data on Small Businesses to power the future of SMB financial services. By engineering better data from hundreds of public & third-party sources, we aim to tell the complete story of every business, so that companies of every size can access the financial services they need to grow & thrive. Our core values - generosity, curiosity, ingenuity, & drive - guide everything we do from how we make our most important product decisions to how we work with & support one another on a daily basis. Were a team of curious, driven individuals with diverse backgrounds & skills, but were all passionate about engineering deeper understanding through datatogether. If this resonates with you, we would love to hear from you!