Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in todays most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, & The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, & more, both online & at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- & part-time alumni & counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent & spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloittes Technology Fast 500, & Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to facilitate our local class.
Our Data Science Immersive course is a life-changing educational experience where students leave with the skills & mindset to take on new careers in a wide variety of Data Science roles.
Why Be a Part of the Data Science Immersive?
If you are looking to make a life-changing impact by doing what you know & love, this is the position for you. Through this unparalleled opportunity, you will:
- Deepen your own skills by guiding students through a rigorous journey where they begin as driven novices & leave as empowered data analysts & scientists
- Contribute your own expertise to a deep & broad global curriculum maintained by a team of talented data science instructors across multiple industries
- Facilitate a supportive & energetic community that lasts well beyond the course
- Hone your own leadership skills by working with an instructional team & classroom community
As a member of the instructional team, you will not only impact the careers of your own students, but youll also have a unique opportunity to shape the potential of students on a global scale through contributions to our global curriculum.
Skills & Qualifications
- Must Haves:
- You have at least 2 years of professional data science experience.
- You are an expert in SQL, Python, & related Python libraries (pandas, numpy).
- You have domain expertise in statistics, mathematics, & probability.
- You can build & apply statistical models in python using machine learning libraries, such as scikit-learn & statsmodels.
- You have a deep understanding of statistical hypothesis testing & experimental design, data visualization techniques & tools (i.e. matplotlib, bokeh, etc), & manipulation of large data sets.
- You can demonstrate & explain the function of machine learning algorithms such as regularized regression, naive bayes, decision trees, ensemble methods, KNN, K-means clustering, & neural networks.
- You are the person your colleagues naturally gravitate to when they are trying to figure something out.
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, & trajectories of the newest generation of data scientists.
- Nice to haves:
- You have proficiency with NLP python libraries such as NLTK; Hadoop or Apache Spark; D3.js or R.
- You are on top of industry trends in big data, machine learning, deep learning, & AI.
- You have previous data science or engineering teaching experience, through a course, workshop, team training, etc.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Plan & implement a 12-week curriculum in conjunction with baseline materials & your local instructional team.
- Deliver instruction 5 days a week, including teaching, advising, & content development.
- Work closely with your instructional team to provide students with meaningful & prompt feedback on their progress.
- Collaborate alongside GA staff in order to best meet the needs & learning styles of your students.
- Guide students through the development of real world projects that will showcase their abilities to hiring managers.
- Facilitate a dynamic & collaborative classroom community.
- Inspire students to persevere through the challenges of learning complex subjects.
- Contribute to the material & direction of an expanding global curriculum, ensuring the course remains cutting-edge & effective for students worldwide.