BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed & Tasty are looking for a driven, creative, & internet-obsessed writer & editor to join its food properties.
The ideal candidate is someone who is tuned in to everything people are sharing, eating, cooking, & talking about when it comes to All Things Food. They will be able to produce work quickly, experiment with lots of different content types, & be interested in analyzing the results of their work.
You should have enough food or cooking knowledge to share tips & tricks, & enough of a low-key (or high-key) internet obsession to quickly find, drive, & react to current food trends & news. One week might have you writing a grocery storage guide, testing out viral drink hacks, & rounding up reactions to a fast food launch.
If you're the type of person who spent quarantine cooking up everything from whipped coffee to feta pasta; or someone whos never met a meal planning challenge or Trader Joes aisle you couldnt conquer; or someone who plans all your vacations around food first, everything else second we want to hear from you!
BuzzFeed is working remotely through at least September 2021, & being based in NYC or LA is ideal for an eventual return to our offices. However, we are open to considering candidates who are legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, & Washington.
- Write, edit, & commission food posts that are shareable, helpful, entertaining, & cater to a diverse audience
- Create service-driven food content like cooking guides, recipe roundups, & expert-sourced explainers with an eye on SEO
- Stay up-to-date with current happenings & trending topics around food & cooking like menu launches, food news, & anything bubbling up on Reddit, TikTok, or Instagram
- Monitor & analyze your posts' traffic, performance, & audience impact
- Potentially help manage a small freelance network
- 1-3 years experience writing & editing content about food, cooking, and/or lifestyle for a website or magazine (or exemplary blogging/writing experience)
- Sharable & conversational writing & editing skills, including strong spelling, grammar, & attention to detail
- Ability to optimize content for maximum engagement across platforms like Google Discover, TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, & Flipboard
- An understanding & appreciation of BuzzFeeds & Tastys voice & diverse audience (primarily Gen Z & Millennial)
- A genuine love of food in all its forms!
FYI just because you dont meet every requirement doesnt mean we dont want to hear from you. If you think youd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Tell us about your food x quarantine experience: What was the best thing you cooked, ate, and/or watched? How did your cooking or eating habits change (or not change)?
- What are the 3 best cooking tips youd give to a beginner? How about a seasoned home cook? Whats the smartest or most underrated kitchen hack you know?
- Tell us about a few food-related things youre obsessed with. (Could be: Under-the-radar IG or TikTok accounts; TV shows, podcasts, or newsletters; secret menu items; small businesses, etc)
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.