In many ways, WeWork is a unique social network where people are brought together both by physical proximity (there are over 200,000 people working together in over 200 locations) & by digital applications. Peoples interaction with this network is influenced by spatial layouts, content algorithms, social events, & their own culture & lived experience. We want to understand how these factors influence the social dynamics of WeWork so that we can positively shape our community.
As a senior member of the applied science team, youll be responsible for developing & managing a research agenda focused on workplace communities. Some of the questions that we anticipate youll answer include:
- How do we measure & influence individual, group, & company performance?
- Why do people work out of an office & how will this change in the future?
- What is the most effective way to influence the social norms so that we guide the culture at WeWork?
- How should we measure the success / strength / health / resilience of WeWorks social network?
As a scientist at WeWork you will have access to large study population of people working in some of the worlds most innovative offices. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with architects, data scientists, UX researchers, & other members of the applied science team. The research that you produce will directly influence design & management decisions at WeWork that will in turn help make thousands of people happier, more productive, & more connected to their communities.
- Developing a long-term research agenda focused on workplace communities.
- Managing & mentoring junior researchers.
- Executing research projects end-to-end, including study design, data gathering, analysis, & communication.
- Publishing & presenting research both internally & externally.
- PhD (or a masters with equivalent experience) in Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Social Science, or other related research discipline.
- Knowledge & experience in at least one of the following areas: social networks, social psychology, organizational psychology, behavioral science, or management science.
- Experience or strong interest in work habits & workplace design.
- 5+ years industry experience
- Experience managing other researchers
- Proficiency in qualitative research methodologies such as interviews, focus groups, diary studies, observations, & other relevant qualitative or user experience methods.
- Proficiency in quantitative research methods, particularly survey design & inferential statistics.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively to both technical & nontechnical audiences.
- Available to work in New York, NY.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.