Company Description|Job Description
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable & secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, & economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure & reliable payments around the world, & is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, & fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network & scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, & be part of an inclusive & diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators & risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, & doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy & digital commerce to millions of unbanked & underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
Are you skilled in identifying how data could be translated into compelling storing & useful strategic insights? Do you solve complex data challenges with creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected & innovative payments companies.
The Global Data Science group works with internal business teams, our key Visa issuing banks, & merchant clients to drive value from Visa's unique global data assets. Our Data Engineering & Technology teams are critical partners of the Data Science community at Visa.
In this role, you will be responsible for helping to design & delivery a global data architecture for our internal & external facing business lines. You will get chance to leverage your strategic planning, business analysis & technical knowledge of data engineering, tools & data architecture definition. In addition to managing our portfolio of datasets globally, you will play key roles in helping our data scientist community to leverage these datasets effectively. For example, you can expect to help data scientists to find & use the appropriate datasets for their specific problems. You will also produce documentation & lead training sessions for certain datasets. You might also work with outside organizations to facilitate data-sharing agreements & other types of partnerships.
The position will be based at Visa's offices in Foster City (CA), Austin (TX) or Ashburn (VA).
- Develop our global data engineering architecture & pipelines by gathering requirements & use cases & leveraging knowledge from market, external stakeholders & research.
- Define a suitable architecture taking into account various sources, use cases & data structures. Support both standardized solutions as well as ad-hoc analyses.
- Own the data architecture, build & maintain high performing ETL processes, including data quality & testing aligned across technology, internal reporting & other functional teams.
- Define & build technical/data architecture for data warehouse, data marts & big data solutions (including data & dimensional modeling).
- Develop & execute a global plan for provisioning data by working across teams & by integrating with existing technology architecture & current projects in-execution.
- Develop provisioning plans with goals of delivering accuracy, scalability & high performance.
- Provide technical guidance & thought leadership to users/engineers on the team.
- Establish lean data governance to drive data standards & data quality. Be an evangelist in the company for data-informed thinking & decision-making.
- Develop education materials & supporting documentation to enhance data literacy across the organization.
- Monitor & product reports on dataset/tools usage to inform long-term strategy.
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Master's, MBA, JD, MD) or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- 12-15 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or 8-10 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 6+ years of work experience with a PhD
- 8+ years of experience working with large amounts of data, ideally in financial industry
- Data store or NoSQL, including Cloudbase, HBase, or Big Table
- Experience in MapReduce programming with Apache Hadoop & Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) & with processing large data stores
- Experience with the design & development of multiple object-oriented systems
- Experience with at least one big data platform (e.g., Hortonworks, Cloudera Hadoop)
- Experience with Data modelling
- Experience with using repository management solutions
- Experience with deploying applications in a Big Data environment
- Experience with designing & developing automated analytic software, techniques, & algorithms
- Experience with providing architecture artifacts (e.g., High Level Design document, solution design, architecture diagrams)
- Working knowledge of version control systems such as Subversion or Git, & bug tracking tools such as JIRA
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Understanding of architectural principles & design patterns / styles using parallel large-scale distributed frameworks such as Hadoop / Spark
- Knowledge of working in UNIX environment with good amount of shell scripting & python experience. Knowledge in spring, Core Java, MapReduce.
- A Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related discipline
- Good business acumen to orient data analysis to business needs of clients.
- Ability to translate business concepts into a technical architecture
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams to define priorities & develop roadmaps
- Project management skills
- Demonstrated intellectual & analytical rigor, strong attention to detailTeam oriented, energetic, collaborative, diplomatic, & flexible style
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit & stand at a desk, communicate in person & by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones & computers, reach with hands & arms, & bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0%-5% of the time
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines & applicable local law.