Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, & over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, & Washington, D.C. & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking passionate, highly motivated, & creative designers to join our Design Studio. This position will require the candidate to provide Interior Design services to our partners through drawing sets, specifications, & sketch renderings.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable in an evolving, fast-paced startup environment. This is an opportunity for a talented thought leader to help conceptualize & execute better housing across multiple cities at a large scale.
Architecture & Interior Design at Common is unique in that we are the industry experts in shared living. We believe that through thoughtful design we can foster a living experience that is convenient, flexible, beautiful, & builds community. The role will require a high level of autonomy & will involve a combination of technicality, project management, & production. The candidate is expected to have strong technical knowledge of architecture & construction industry standards. They should also be familiar with general zoning, cost estimation, specifications, schedules, & contract management.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting start up at an early stage, as your work will have a meaningful & significant impact on both the member experience & the formation of future processes at Common. You will report directly to the Senior Designer - Interiors & work closely with peers in the Design & Construction Team. You will learn the ins & outs of residential design across multiple cities & multiple scales. With success, your role will expand as Common continues to scale.
- Develop graphic standards & business processes from scratch
- Production & management of deliverables: architectural drawing sets, concept mood & material boards, specifications, through to construction administration
- Provide technical direction on specifications & construction details
- Building a library of finish & fixture selections
- Project & account management & coordination between owners, architects, & contractors with excellent customer service
- Manage, coordinate & execute multiple projects at once, including architectural level documentation for interiors
- Capable of leading space planning for all residential, public lobbies, & community spaces.
- Produce drawings at all phases of design, from concept development, through to design development & construction documentation. Experience with providing services during the construction administration phase including review of submittals & RFIs
- Comfortable managing all client expectations, internal/external team communication, oversight, & mentorship of Junior Designers
- Directly responsible for oversight, & delivery of design documents at all stages of the interior architectural process
- Design & produce compelling design concept mood boards in collaboration with the FFE team to set one comprehensive vision
- Work collaboratively to identify & source architectural finishes, fixtures, lighting, hardware & accessories
- Ensures that project design intent is on brand & follows architectural best practices
- Travel as required
- Other duties & ad hoc projects from time to time & based on business needs
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master's Degree in Architecture or Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) required.
- 4 + years of professional experience in an architecture/interior design firm required
- Must have an entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment without standard processes or systems in place
- Desire to understand & implement Commons design philosophy
- Work Samples must demonstrate experience in design, production & management of drawing sets & specification manuals.
- Capable of working on projects in all phases of design, including concept design, schematic design, design development, & construction documentation. Experience with construction administration services including responding to RFIs & submittals.
- Familiarity with ADA compliance & building codes for hospitality & multi-family projects
- Work Samples must demonstrate experience & familiarity with finishes, materials & fixtures.
- Sharp eye for interior design & finishes required.
- Must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative & analytical reasoning.
- Must be very organized & be able to multitask across a large number of projects.
- Must be able to prioritize & organize against near & long-term goals effectively.
- Show a talent for customer service & client management.
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing & implementing best practices.
- Quick adaptation to an expanding variety of platforms, apps, & workflows in a fast-paced startup environment required.
- Must be a direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed.
- Proficiency in Revit Architecture, AutoCad, Rhino, Excel, Adobe Creative Suite (PS,IS.AI), & Required 3d modeling softwares (Rhino, Sketchup, Vray etc)
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation & sick time, medical, dental & vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) & a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates & qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.