Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, & chance encounters become lifelong connections. At Meetup, weve made it our mission to empower personal growth through real human connections because we see a future built on deep trust & collective effort. We are creating a world where people can turn to each other to improve their lives.
Software Engineering Managers at Meetup build high performing teams. We value engineering managers who are keen to stay close to the ground & the product, & who see themselves as there to guide teams to work more effectively as well as coach & grow engineers.
Its an exciting opportunity to help build a team responsible for a critical area of Meetup: Youll have a chance to influence engineering practices & culture across the entire organization, & play a critical role in helping shape the goals & strategy of Platform Engineering. If you're applying for this role, you're a great leader of people & thrive with the challenge of creating a successful team.
You're our ideal team member if you:
- Have 5+ years of experience managing & running teams, & understand how iterative process & systems improvement improves outcomes.
- Thrive in highly collaborative teams & XP-style agile practices (TDD, pairing, trunk-based development).
- Have experience managing local & remote engineers in technical & non-technical topics; our areas of concern cover web, backend (JS/Lambda), backend (Java/Scala), & technical operations.
- Have experience recruiting engineers, both by interviewing & setting up recruiting processes.
- Are adaptable, & can handle changing requirements & difficult problems. You build process for the long-term while managing iterative, short-term needs.
What you get to do:
- Be an effective people manager that focuses on coaching, team culture, & recruiting.
- Partner with the Director of Engineering to shape how the team is organized & continuously improve how the team works.
- Actively participate in your reports' professional development through coaching, timely & specific feedback, regular 1-on-1s, & highlighting growth opportunities.
- Unblock team members by working with neighboring teams to determine solutions & timelines.
Our engineers are smart, flexible, great problem solvers. Managers are responsible for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, & honest feedback. We build fast & release code often, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles & keeping processes effective.
Check out our engineering blog: https://medium.com/making-meetup
Meetup employees are bold, supportive, & passionate about empowering people to come together & create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, & building diverse, dynamic teams in a safe & inclusive environment. You in?