Betterment is hiring a Staff Engineer to help lead our front-end architecture. Sit side-by-side with user experience & product teams to craft our consumer-facing applications. Partner with the design team to develop design capabilities roadmap. Partner with other engineering leads to resource projects that move the front end architecture forward.
About the right team member:
You will be a part of a team thats taking on difficult questions of scale, architecture, & interaction. Part of being a member of this team is a love for building products youre proud to share with your friends & family. We strive for fluid, delightful user experiences.
You are passionate about building intuitive, delightful user experiences in a scalable, sustainable fashion. You possess an ability to introduce new patterns strategically, framing short-term projects with long-term vision. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with multi-functional teams that span the entire company. You love to learn & to share your vision & expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, & access to sophisticated advice.
- Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, & repeat
- Collaborate, with purpose. Youll work in small groups with other talented thinkers & resolve how to make Betterments revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through openness. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers youll build the tools to make it possible
- Craft efficiency. Our software helps customers save time & money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, & lean engineering
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. Were a group of talented engineers who pride ourselves on what we do. Were creative, high-energy, & lots of fun.
You will answer questions like:
- Whats the most effective way to marry rich client-side experiences with data-intensive APIs?
- Whats the most maintainable way to support rapid experimentation within a constantly evolving user-experience without leaving a mess of if/else statements in our wake?
- How do we architect high-performance internal APIs that facilitate rapid development of lightweight experiences, tools, & visualizations?
You will be effective if you have:
- 4+ years experience working with client-side frameworks like React, Vue.js, Ember, etc.
- Experience building APIs & server-side functionality. We build our web apps & APIs in Ruby on Rails.
- Proven & recent experience mentoring & educating other developers on new techniques & standard methodologies
- Experience with design systems & component-driven development workflows
- Experience successfully introducing new patterns & frameworks
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms & data structures
- A passion for software engineering & for creating what doesnt exist
- A knack for making the trade-offs required to ship without compromising quality
- An understanding that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- An appreciation for agility & pragmatism in software development
Technologies you will use:
Engineering spends much of its time with the tools above, but we strive to always choose the best tool for the job. Youll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages & frameworks & will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs & other protocols.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws.We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.