About the Role
Birchbox is seeking an ambitious DevOps Engineer with a passion for buildinginfrastructure that is maintainable & scalable, & robust monitoring & developer tooling to support software engineering workflows.As a DevOps engineer, you'll report to our Head of SRE / DevOps while collaborating with backend engineers, frontend engineers, internal users, data scientists & product managers to continuously improve our systems. The role will involve all aspects of DevOps & Site Reliability Engineering at Birchbox.
In addition to maintaining our existing configuration-as-code, you'll play a pivotal role in building new support systems for several greenfield projects planned for 2019, including a major observability initiative, expansion of our Datadog implementation, new deployments of AWS cloud environments, evolution of our Airflow workflow management system, load testing, & more. Major upcoming software initiatives include a revamped subscription service, an asynchronous checkout service, a vastly improved product information service, & a major iteration on our core e-commerce platform.
As Birchbox DevOps Engineer, you will:
- Expand & support the Birchbox technical infrastructure.
- Refine our software lifecycle, deployment & management practices.
- Build tools & processes to improve development practices.
- Create & maintain infrastructure & application monitoring dashboards.
- Proudly participate in the Birchbox Engineering on-call rotation.
Ideally, were seeking somebody with:
- 3+ years of professional experience (or equivalent) in a production web shop.
- The ability to build, maintain, & monitor continuous integration & deployment pipelines.
- Deep understanding of AWS services & experience maintaining a cloud deployment.
- Experience with standard web stack technologies(eg., http services, caches, proxies, load balancers).
- Experience with relational & non-relational data storage & accessat scale.
- Understanding of networking concepts (TCP/IP, DNS, routing, subnets).
- Experience with configuration management such as Chef, Salt, & Puppet.
- Excellent facility with the UNIX paradigm; we're a Debian Linux shop andwe have OS X desktops & laptops.
- Understanding of containerization & experience working with their deployment & maintenance, especially ECS.
- The ability to rapidly troubleshoot production issues with enviablecommand-line fu.
Well definitely want to have a conversation if:
- Yourecommitted to enabling DevOps culture with development, deployment, & observability / monitoring tooling.
- You understand & evangelize notions of configuration-as-code (eg., Chef, Salt) & infrastructure-as-code (eg., Terraform).
- You're security-minded, & have strong opinions about how to build a sensible & safe cloud environment.
- You have a thirst for new knowledge & responsibility. You want toown projects in their entirety, & master new problem spaces andtechnologies.
- You're compelled to excellence, powerless to resist the siren songof a beautiful solution.
- You're pragmatic: sometimes a beautiful solution is impermanent andexpedient. You know how to make the call.
- You're joyful & take pride in what you create; we're a talented anddiverse crew, lucky enough to be building something people really love.
Founded in 2010, Birchbox is a leading beauty & grooming retailer, offering an efficient, personalized way to discover & shop for new products. We redefined the e-commerce experience by pairing a monthly subscription of samples with a curated online shop featuring more than 800 best-in-class brands.Every month, members sample high-end products targeted to fit their personal profile & behavior, learn about them through our content, & purchase full-size versions of the products they like. Our platform provides our brand partners with an innovative & efficient way to access new customers.In 2012 we launched Birchbox Man & expanded internationally, & in 2014 we opened our first brick-and-mortar store in Soho. Today we have more than one million subscribers & operate in six countries, including France, Spain, UK, Ireland, & Belgium.
Birchbox is headquartered in New York City with offices in Paris, London, & Barcelona.
At Birchbox you will...
- Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, & repeat.
- Build things people love. Our goal is to surprise & delight our customers as much as possible. Great design, simple user experience, & access to data to make smart decision help us to achieve it.
- Collaborate with purpose. Youll work in small groups with other talented thinkers & figure out how to make Birchboxs software even better.
- Work with people who care. Were a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. Were smart, innovative, energetic, & lots of fun.
Engineering @ Birchbox
The technology team at Birchbox spans software engineering, technical operations, product, & business intelligence. We are responsible for developing the companys customer-facing sites in six countries, managing hosted & cloud infrastructure, & closely supporting other teams (logistics, marketing, et al.) in our global company of over 200 people. Our service-oriented platform is built on a wide variety of open-source technologies: AWS, Apache Mesos, Marathon, & Docker; Salt, Jenkins, & Shippable for automation & CI/CD; Apache Spark & Hadoop ecosystem tools; Ruby on Rails, Java, Python, & PHP backing our React-based customer sites; Datadog, Kibana, & PagerDuty for observability & alerting. We rely on engineers to be self-motivated & quickly follow through on tasks without requiring close supervision. In return, engineers are given substantial freedom to use their own initiative & make their own decisions.
Our challenges include:
- Evolving our software & systems architecture to support a rapidly growing customer base across multiple countries & languages.
- Designing & implementing the best user experience for our customers. We strive to revolutionize online retail.
- Using data, complex algorithms, & statistics to personalize the Birchbox experience for our customers, both offline & online.