Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
You are an outstanding attorney looking to join a category-creating company that is making investing smarter, easier, & more accessible for everyone. You are a problem solver with excellent legal judgment & outstanding attention to detail. You are mission-driven, business-oriented, independent, & quick to learn. You can communicate clearly & persuasively to a wide variety of audiences. You can thrive in a dynamic, technology-driven environment & are comfortable taking action in the face of ambiguity. You are eager to make an impact & are always seeking new & improved ways of doing things. You are adept at managing competing priorities & thrive building processes to standardize recurring tasks.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $160,000 - $215,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Navigate legal & regulatory requirements, operational issues, & related matters
- Support Betterment at Work, our 401(k) business line, as it scales
- Evaluate & advise on legal issues pertaining to our retirement plan programs, including ERISA
- Support Betterments new crypto offering as it scales, & advise on legal & regulatory issues related to crypto
- Negotiate complex commercial agreements & advise our client success & sales teams
- Build & improve our standard form agreements & legal processes
- Assist our product organization in developing & implementing new features & products, including drafting customer agreements, disclosures, & related documentation
- Help to resolve & avoid potential disputes
- Collaborate with outside counsel when necessary
What were Looking for
- A JD, admission to a state bar, & at least 4 years of relevant in-house or firm experience
- An adaptable mindset & innate curiosity
- A bias toward action & solving problems, not just issue spotting
- The ability to take ownership over your work & manage projects independently
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort navigating complexity & creating simplicity where possible
- Passion for Betterments product & mission
Bonus points if you have
- Knowledge of ERISA & related regulations
- Knowledge of crypto & related regulatory environment
- A background in negotiating commercial agreements
- Familiarity with privacy and/or information security issues
- Experience in retail financial services
- In-house experience at a startup or high growth company
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.