About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, & society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity.The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, & increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online atwww.nyas.org.
JOB TITLE: Associate Director, Science Alliance
DEPARTMENT: Global STEM Alliance
REPORTS TO: Vice President, STEM Talent Programs
The Associate Director, Science Alliance provides strategic & operational oversight of programs & services that serve the career advancement related needs of early career scientists (undergraduates, graduate students, & post-docs). The Associate Director will also oversee the conceptualization, development, & implementation of events & online resources that provide networking, & educational opportunities for young scientists. The Associate Director, Science Alliance will work closely with other departments at the Academy to help raise support & publicize events & programs; build & manage existing relationships with academic partners & stakeholders. The ideal candidate will combine social impact skills with entrepreneurial skills to design excellent in person & digital programming for the Academys young scientist population while driving revenue through fruitful corporate & university partnerships.
- Implement & promote programs & events on career issues for undergraduate students, grad students & postdocs, taking advantage of the Academys unique resource as an institution at the intersection of academia, business, & government, with its enormous convening & dissemination power.
- Work closely with the Academy programs to identify & promote mentoring opportunities among the Science Alliance membership.
- Design special events, & meet with relevant individuals & partners as necessary.
- Support the sales of the Corporate Membership Science Alliance Business model to ensure self-funded programming & drive revenue.
Events & Programming
- Provide opportunities for career advancement & networking locally, state-wide, nationally & internationally.
- Utilizing the existing Science Alliance Committee to liaise with faculty, administrators, students & postdocs at area universities, develop programs & resources with appropriate format & content that will be of value & interest to the Science Alliance community.
Publicize Science Alliance & Serve as Expert in the Field
- Serve as the public face of the Academy towards our early career members. This can include activities such as public speaking, participation in interviews, conferences, journal articles, career talks & panels, etc.
- Work with the Academys Marketing team to establish an annual marketing calendar for events & programs. Working with the Academy Marketing & Program Departments, develop strategies for outreach to the SA community.
- Working with the Academys Web & Marketing Team, develop digital content for the Science Alliance through the Academy website & other relevant channels.
- Working with the Development Staff, help in identifying prospective funders (foundations, agencies, corporate sponsors, etc.).
- Support the Membership Team in recruiting new universities, research institutions, & teaching hospitals to join Science Alliance.
- Prepare budget for SA activities & manage expenses.
- In collaboration with the Meeting & Event Operations Department, organize support & logistics for Science Alliance programs (room location, catering, A/V, etc.).
- Oversee Science Alliance-related activities, which include a portfolio of affiliated contractors.
Supervises one Program Assistant.
- Ph.D. in the sciences with knowledge of career development with 1 - 2 years experience in program management.
- Excellent oral & written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work creatively & independently as well as function in a team environment.
- Must be available for periodic travel (up to 20%) & working during evenings & weekend events, as necessary.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, & fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples would be lifting files, open filling cabinets & bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions & privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, & any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter & desired salary to be considered.