The Features Editor will be working with the editorial staff, visuals team, product, & designers to help realize Topics vision for fascinating, original storytelling.
The Features Editor will be a full-time addition to the existing team to help shepherd deep-dive original storytelling across its newsletter & website. This person should have 5-10 years experience as an editor; we would be looking for someone with sharp storytelling skills & a large & diverse network of possible contributors. The Features Editor will be working closely with the EIC & the managing editor to ensure that stories come in on-time & on budget, as well as contribute ideas about how to creatively distribute their stories to a digital audience.
As a small team with a big mandate, the right candidate for this job will have the energy & wherewithal to see projects through from vague idea to polished final versions. The Features Editor will be an integral member of the Topic.com team & will report to the Executive Editor.
- Work with Topic.coms editorial team to brainstorm & assign original magazine stories, both on & off the months themes.
- Develop stories in concert with photo & visual editors, and, on occasion, with Topic video producers to make companion digital video shorts.
- Work closely with the managing editor to track budget & story deliverables.
- When appropriate, this editor will work with the studio to funnel original Topic stories into development for film, tv, audio.
Background & Qualifications:
- 5-10 years experience as an editor, preferably with long-form storytelling.
- Skill as a big picture thinker & a line editor.
- Commitment to having fun at work.
- The ability to take feedback as a process & a means to build something even better.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines & can prioritize the needs of multiple assignments.
- Ability to roll-up your sleeves & get things done in startup environment.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio & digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices, & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib & Field of Vision, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.