Unite the world in a seamless web of commerce
Flexport is hiring a Software Engineer to own the roadmap for our public API.
Flexport is a freight forwarder & logistics platform using modern software to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, & disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
With 13 offices on three continents, we help the world's fastest growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving goods between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport youll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Model the complex global freight domain. Design our public API to help our customers integrate with Flexport & automate their supply chain.
- Be responsible for the API framework that helps build essential features like API versioning & expansion.
- Build platform services that help Flexport engineering teams build enterprise-grade solutions, including services like,
- A webhook system that allows external clients to be notified when a significant event occurs in the Flexport ecosystem.
- A metadata service that allows external clients to add their own custom attributes to Flexport API objects.
- Work closely with business partners & product managers to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Build & launch products rapidly & incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Geek out about shipping, invoicing, customs regulations & logistics. (We do this often.)
- Enhancements to Flexports public APIs, webhooks & developer ecosystem while figuring out the most efficient way for our customers & partners to participate in the process of moving freight across borders.
- Design & build APIs & webhooks which enable deep, secure, scalable, complex integrations with customers, government agencies & partners.
- Automate archaic logistics processes saving operations teams thousands of phone calls per week.
- Deliver supply chain API insights to teams via a world-class analytics experience.
- Create beautiful & efficient domain models for the incredibly complex world of freight forwarding.
- Bring trade to everyone in the world.
You Should Have:
- Minimum 2+ years of experience writing software, building RESTful APIs & strong engineering background.
- A love of simple, high-quality, secure, well-tested code that is easy to extend & hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers & engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- We are tech-agnostic regarding candidate background, but our platform is built with Ruby & we are transitioning to Kotlin.
- Preferred Experience: Ruby, Rails, Kotlin, Java.
- Non-optional: an aptitude for learning quickly, customer success
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite & Github. On the backend, we are in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app & introducing services using other languages, such as Kotlin, while services communicate over gRPC, ProtoBuf & GraphQL. Our data is persisted in mostly Postgres & Redis. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, & test our application with Jest. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker. Enterprise Integrations are built with Dell Boomi.
Engineering Culture & Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology & data analytics, logistics infrastructure, & supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients & suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital & Y Combinator. Were excited about the three big ways were moving forward after our $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- Whats freight forwarding & why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination & shipment of goods from one place to another & its what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world & break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.