Magic Leap (ML) is looking for a lead materials scientist to join the Eyepiece R&D & manufacturing group. The candidate will work with research scientists & manufacturing engineers to produce innovative products with market leading quality & optical performance. This role provides the opportunity to perform early-stage development of components for commercial AR/MR devices. Responsibilities include:
- Develop inkjettable resists for optical display applications
- Tune the refractive index of resist while maintain the desired fluid & solid state materials properties for nanoimprinting
- Develop a holistic approach of assessing resist performance by taking into consideration of resists functional use instead of it as a sacrificial etch mask layer
- Work closely with inkjet engineers to optimize inkjetting performance of resist & assist in inkjet waveform development.
- Lead the custom synthesis of new compounds, & build vendor relationship to secure steady supply
- Lead material characterizations & QC to ensure the quality of production grade resist
- Expand & strengthen resist & nanoimprint process patent portfolio
- Develop adhesives with desirable refractive index & selective wavelength absorption
- Work with colleagues & equipment vendors to develop functional materials compatible with micro-dispensing
- Work with reliability team to solidify the learning cycles of product performance
- Collaborate with fellow engineers in the use of inkjet-based nanoimprint lithography to fabricate optical prototypes
- Actively engage with optical design teams to come up new concepts & idea for eye piece KPI improvement
- Demonstrate excellent judgment regarding critical observation, problem solving, & proactive decision making to meet aggressive schedule
- Identifies preferred resist rheological properties for optimum inkjet printing performance to reduce inkjet artifacts such as drop deviation, nozzle misfiring, nozzle blocking, faceplate liquid/gel build up, drop volume fluctuation, etc.
- Write high quality & detailed research summaries & present to internal & external audience
- Ph.D. in materials science, materials engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering or equivalent scientific discipline & a minimum of 5 years of working experience post graduate school.
- Excellent communication skill is required.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.