Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, & what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour & many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What were looking for:
Data, & how they are used, play a central role at MasterClass & are at the heart of how we make business, product, content, & operational decisions. Our growing Data organization (Analytics, Data Science, & Data Engineering) is a specialized, cross-functional group that collaborates with a variety of departments to drive decisions & provide direction for future growth at MasterClass. We are looking for an exceptional reporting & measurement expert whose work will help explain trends & identify opportunities. The ideal candidate for this role requires someone with the ability to develop compelling interactive & static performance dashboards & help standardize our measurement practice across platform.
- Build, maintain, & communicate detailed reporting, visualization, & dashboards to deliver business insights, to identify customer behaviors, & to show business health
- Ability to manage a repository of re-usable data visualization templates & views
- Train & support colleagues in the use of self-service data exploration & visualization tools
- Perform ad hoc analyses, as necessarily
- Work with data engineers to most efficiently organize & summarize data to facilitate analysis & reporting
- Translate business questions from stakeholders into detailed tracking specifications across all platforms, including web, mobile apps & emerging platforms such as OTT devices, gaming consoles & smart tvs
- Ensure that all new & existing products & features have accurate measurement by validating the measurement on each device & validating that all reports are populating as expected.
- Partner with multiple stakeholders to develop & execute appropriate measurement plan & tagging strategy for Segment to satisfy analytics use cases.
- Develop documentation of use cases, tracking specs & QA results.
- Assist in establishing governance, best practice operational & ad-hoc processes for data capture changes.
- Bachelors degree in a related quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics). Advanced degree preferred.
- 2+ years of relevant working experience in a similar role, preferably for an online content, video, subscription or e-commerce property/platform
- Strong SQL skills with ability to write structured & efficient queries on large data sets (e.g. Redshift, PostgreSQL, Hive); R & Python a strong plus
- Strong proficiency with Looker, Tableau
- Strong proficiency with Segment, Amplitude
- Strategically-minded yet strong detail-orientation with a penchant for data accuracy
- Excellent written, verbal, & interpersonal communication & presentation skills
- Exemplary relationship builder who is consultative in nature & form partnerships with coworkers & customers
- Ability to work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.