Senior Software Engineer - Legal & Compliance
Build the first modern Compliance Platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, & disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport youll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. Youll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems & streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. Youll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating a new operating system for global trade.
Our team, the Legal & Compliance Makers (LCM) team, is responsible for risk assessment & risk mitigation of logistics business, which is key to maintaining regulatory compliance & our reputation in the industry. Our platform provides a revolutionary new experience internally as well as for external clients to track their business risks & resolve them.
- Be part of the LCM engineering team, architect, & drive major projects while coordinating with multiple stakeholders. We often work on multi-month projects that require phased rollouts & collaboration with cross-functional team members.
- Tackle difficult & subtle system-level issues, emphasizing simplicity & long-lasting designs. As we extract services out of the monolith, we take pride in untangling legacy code & re-building with composability in mind.
- Engage in conversations with other Flexport Technology teams, gathering requirements that inform the roadmap. We believe in delivering quality customer service by being highly responsive on our support channels, listening to feedback, & evangelizing our products.
- Drive engineering excellence initiatives, ensuring our products maintain a high-quality bar. We believe in anticipating issues by obsessing over metrics & applying key learnings from post-mortems to all our services.
- Evaluate, implement, & evangelize new technologies & tools that can help accelerate the product development lifecycle. We explore the best tool for the job & ensure that our learnings make it out to the broader community.
- Onboard & mentor engineers. We believe in structured onboarding & mentoring processes to ensure a smooth transition into the team & then continued development on the team.
You should have:
- Experience in building performant systems that deal with complexity or scale
- Track record of planning & executing projects in a functional area with a phased rollout approach
- Experience mentoring engineers & driving eng-excellence initiatives
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers, & engineers alike
- 6+ years of experience writing software, & a strong engineering background
- Proficient in at least one programming language such as Java or Ruby
- Experience with Rails, Spring, or React
- Expertise in Postgres or MongoDB
- Knowledge of GraphQL & gRPC
- Experience with AWS or Kubernetes
- Experience migrating large monolithic applications to service-oriented architecture
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite & Github. On the front end, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, & test our application with Jest. On the backend, were in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app & introducing services using other languages, such as Java, Kotlin, & Node.js. Our data is persisted in mostly Postgres, MongoDB, & Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker & Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture & Values
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. Thats why its our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers & their logistics partners with the technology & services to grow & innovate. Today, companies of all sizesfrom emerging brands to Fortune 500suse Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Dont be! Were building the first Operating System for Global Trade. Thats why its incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds & experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. Thats why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, & engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating & nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical & mental disability, health status, marital & family status, sexual orientation, gender identity & expression, military & veteran status, & any other characteristic protected by applicable law.