Tooling Engineer Manufacturing Execution Team (Taiwan/Asia Region)
*** This position is primarily located in Taichung, Taiwan, also requires travel internationally. Candidates must be willing to travel 30% or more as needed by the business. ***
The Tooling Engineer is responsible for optimizing the tooling development from tooling design to production sustaining with ODMs(Original Design Manufacturer) & CMs (Contract Manufacturers) with consideration in both throughput & quality, while also advice on optimizing part & assembly design for manufacturing (DFM) with internal design & engineering team. The involved manufacturing processes are including but not limited to - plastic injection molding, sheet metal forming & welding, die casting, CNC machining, complex assembly & testing, surface finishing for both plastic & metal.
In order to support quality delivery of the product, the Tooling Engineer will also draft tooling supplier requirement & maintenance plan based on product demand & design requirement, collect tooling information for asset database, participate mold trial activities, & conduct supplier capability audits for tooling quality, fabrication process control, development technical support, & production maintenance & record keeping.
For long term company growth, the Tooling Engineer should also contribute to the building of simulation model for mold & part costs, knowledge library for advanced material & fabrication, & tooling input for product design requirement.
The Tooling Engineer will also provide day-to-day technical support for internal teams & CMs/ODMsc, including engineering changes implementation on tooling, part availability tracking & schedule discussion, cost reduction & continuous improvement in both quality & takt time, hands-on implementation of the improvements on the manufacturing floor.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams to ensure robust DFM/DFA, providing expertise in material & process selection, tooling design & material requirement, process audit & tooling qualification plan
- Participate in early development phase vendor capability evaluation, technical discussion of part fabrication, manufacturing process required to meet cosmetic & functional requirement
- Ensures tooling efficiency (cost/quality) & performs cost estimate with supporting evidence for Capital Expenditure planning & management approval
- Tooling design (drawing) validation, including continuous supplier/tool maker discussion & CAE simulation to trouble-shoot
- Collaborate with Quality team to define part requirement in inspection & technical support for PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)
- Work with ODMs & CMs to provide engineering support in problem solving & root cause analysis that are tooling related, then understand & refine technical requirements for products & processes for future & on-going productions
- Creates & manages tooling maintenance requirements at vendor site. Conduct tooling audits to confirm quality of maintenance as needed
- Partners with Peloton Supply Chain to identify, analyze, & qualify new suppliers.
- Analyzes factory capacity & capability through conducting supplier audit on site, work with supplier to recommend equipment purchases, performs financial payback analysis, & submits Capital Expenditure requests to management
- Researches & recommends new applications for existing materials, products, & processes to provide revenue growth opportunities for Peloton
- Voice of Peloton manufacturing on cross-functional teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
Education & Experience
- Four-year college degree in an Engineering discipline is required. Mechanical or Manufacturing is preferred.
- 5 or more years Engineering experience in a hands-on manufacturing environment is required (NPI to volume MFG stage)
- Knowledge of production process design, jig & fixture design, key dimension control, material knowledge for different application & testing requirement
- Experience in fabrication processes - Injection molding, CNC machining, complex assembly, welding, sheet metal processing, die casting, surface finishing for both metal & plastics, post fabrication processes like heat treating, plating, anodizing etc
- Microsoft Office applications, CAD (SolidWorks preferred)/CAE(Audodesk Moldflow)
- Interpret engineering drawings, tolerances, GD&T
- Value-Stream Mapping, Process Mapping, Kaizen, Lean, 5S, Statistical Process Control
This position is primarily located in Taichung, Taiwan, also requires travel internationally. Candidates must be willing to travel 30% or more as needed by the business.