Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Our Payload group is responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations, testing, & development of our earth observation payloads. Our team works at the intersection of hardware, software, & product engineering teams within the Space Systems Division. The intern will work on a mentored but self-contained project to enhance the integration & test of our hyperspectral payload mission.
Impact Youll Own:
- Investigate a given technical problem & re-create a reference scenario
- Explore & develop a solution to the technical problem
- Test & implement the solution
- Document technical approach & solution
What You Bring:
- Experience with the development & execution of test software & analysis in a laboratory setting, such as in Python
- Experience leveraging Python and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment to automate yourself out of the way through interfaces to supporting test hardware
- Experience in recording detailed & accurate test descriptions & data summaries
- Experience with collecting large amounts of data, data storage, & data manipulation
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, & ability to collaborate effectively
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Familiarity with optical systems and/or imaging hardware, in particular telescopes & optical sensors
- Experience with relevant modeling & simulation tools, such as CAD software suites or Zemax OpticStudio
Perks & Total Rewards While Fellowing or Interning at Planet:
- Office & WiFi Reimbursements
- Flex Fridays (once a month)
- Volunteering Benefits
- Commuter Benefits if you are near HQ
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.