As an Editorial Manager part of the Business Development, Marketing & Communications (BDMC) Team, your versatility is as important as your brilliant communication skills. In short, youre a collaborative storyteller who works with each part of the BDMC teambusiness development, marketing, & communications. Writing & editing are a huge part of what you do, & your days are filled with RFIs, RFPs, editorials, award entries, abstracts, case studies, & lots more. You know grammatical rules well enough to break them effectively, & you also have impressive proofreading abilities. But thats just the technical stuff. You can also inhabit a variety of writing styles with ease. Switching between formal business prose & punchy marketing copy is all in a days work.
Youve got marketing, or advertising, or writing, or journalism, or academia (or perhaps all of them) in your background, but, above all, youre a quick study who thrives on developing your abilities & learning new things. Thats what really counts. Digital technologies evolve rapidly, & so does Critical Mass. As a result, the members of our team never stop learning, asking questions, & helping new ideas spring to lifein a clearly written way, of course.
At the end of the day, you help the BDMC Director make sure the overall team meets its varied benchmarkse.g., winning new client accounts, generating leads, winning awards, publishing thought leadership that matters, & raising the agencys profile.
- Collaborate with the pitch teams to refine RFI/RFP responses & presentations under tight timelines.
- Copyedit & proofread our written materials as needed
- Collaborate with account teams to create or develop case studies based on new work.
- Field ad hoc requests related to agency communications & growth opportunities.
- Look for opportunities to connect our marketing, communications, & business development efforts.
- Become an expert in Critical Masss story, case studies, thought leadership, award strategies, & internal brand.
- Act as a custodian of our communications materials in collaboration with the rest of the BDMC team (e.g., librarianship).
- Collaborate with our Business Development team on RFIs, RFPs, & other growth opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Marketing & PR teams on executing key initiatives: social media content, abstracts for speaking engagements, thought leadership articles, award entries, & special projects.
- Become familiar with the content & formatting of our case studies, creds, capabilities, & boilerplate; assist in the organization & upkeep of our various libraries (e.g., our case study library).
- Understand & safeguard the voice of CM by ensuring we speak in a way that reflects our values, purpose, & positioning. Report any lapses or misuse to the BDMC Director or wider team.
- Disciplined self-starter with 2-3 years experience in a professional research, writing, and/or a marketing-related field.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly; capable of researching, formulating, writing, & succinctly communicating complicated ideas.
- Able to cultivate trust & credibility with peers & maintain strong working relationships at all levels of Critical Masss organization
- Capable of working in a highly entrepreneurial setting where many hats must be worn & decisions must be made quickly with minimal direction
- Team player, strong work ethic, results-oriented, flexible, patient & adaptable; persuasive & diplomatic
- Able to work very flexibly & manage multiple deadlines & projects (please note that pitch deadlines sometimes require night & weekend work)
- An understanding of digital marketing, technology, & experience design is a plus.