Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products & content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Accountant to join our Accounting team, focusing on Revenue.
Want to help us transform the travel experience? The ideal candidate has an understanding of technical revenue accounting topics like ASC 606, has experience reconciling balance sheet accounts & performing roll forwards, & is comfortable analyzing Excel files with a high volume of data & transactions. You will report to our new Revenue Accounting Manager & be based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, & inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds & experiences to apply for this opportunity. Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training & bias prevention initiatives, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What youll do:
- Apply revenue recognition standards (i.e. ASC 606) to properly record & reconcile transactions & journal entries related to gross-to-net revenue, cost of goods sold, & related reserves & return assets at a line-item SKU level across all channels & geographies
- Perform the sales audit process, properly reconciling orders through to cash including reconciliation of credit card receivables
- Record & reconcile deferred revenue, gift card liability, store credit liability, refund reserves & return assets, & other revenue-related balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis, & provide context for fluctuations in accounts
- Record & reconcile indirect sales tax (sales tax, VAT, GST) on a monthly basis, in partnership with the Senior Tax Accountant
- Assist the Revenue Manager with analysis & reconciliation of warranty-related liabilities in accordance with ASC 460 & ASC 606
- Work closely with the Inventory team to analyze margins by channel & product categories, & provide insight to relevant stakeholders on any variances
- Collaborate with Data, Customer Service, Corporate Gifting, & Partnership teams to understand & optimize the operational processes that drive the revenue reporting
- Assist in developing & refining business processes & standard operating procedures to properly account for revenue & contra-revenue transactions
- Provide support for audit request or ad-hoc reporting requests
Who you are:
- 3+ years of relevant accounting experience; experience with revenue accounting & related balance sheet reconciliations preferred
- Advanced Excel skills, including the ability to perform functions like V-lookup & Pivot Table, as well as write more complex formulas
- Analytical thinker, who understands the order-to-cash cycle & is able to question & improve the existing processes & workpapers
- Understands US GAAP & SOX 404
- Takes initiative to identify problems & propose solutions
- Team player with a "no task is too small" attitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced & ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but thats a given!)
Youll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. Youll have generous PTO to explore new places & access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once youre here for three years, youll earn a sabbatical & a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- Were not just employees. Were people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, & dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous & inclusive parental leave, & a kitchen stocked with organic snacks & coffee.
- Well invest in your career. Our companys growing quickly, & well give you the opportunity to do the same. Youll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the companys evolving needs.
- Were creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global & diverse, so were building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, & more, were building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional & physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, & believe that fair & equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more! You can bring your dog to work. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.