BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
BuzzFeed is looking for a contracted writer to work with our team working early mornings. You will take assignments from our timely editor to turn around as quickly as possible. You have experience sourcing, pitching, & writing about timely stories. You are plugged into a variety of film & TV shows & have a willingness to obsessively cover them.
This is a three-month contract-based position & available to start immediately. This is a remote position. Residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, & Washington are encouraged to apply. This position requires working 8 am EST to 1 pm at most, or finishes early when the daily quota is reached.
- Take assignments from BuzzFeed editors & execute them quickly
- Write 3-4 stories a day
- Create & produce ideas for content based on news of the day
- Dream up evergreen stories for slow news days
- Attend brainstorms & contribute to team goals
- Work early mornings to mid-day
- The ability to cover a wide range of topics including music, tv, film, fashion, beauty, sports, etc.
- Experience writing about sensitive topics
- The ability to find unique angles for major news stories
- Experience writing trending stories required
- A forensic approach to writing about pop culture
- Experience vetting & sourcing photos a plus
- Experience with SEO a plus
- The ability to take perspective of others
- Instead of a formal cover letter please send a short explanation of why you would be a good fit for this role & what kinds of trending news content you would like to cover for BuzzFeed
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within & across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.