Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies & APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing & other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, & has experienced explosive growth to date.
This individual will join Breads Core Engineering group. We are a relatively new group, & our main goal is to service all the verticals in our product engineering organization by providing a cross-platform, easy-to-use, abstract software solution(s) that emphasize on scalability & extensibility. Core Engineering is uniquely set up to work with all teams within Bread, & our end-clients are essentially our colleagues & peer engineers. Our group will work primarily on the backend using Go. Some product examples that we are developing include Workflows, Authentication, & BRE (Business Rules Engine). We are an easy going & dedicated group & our responsibilities are evolving. We are looking for talented & excited engineers to join us!
Your role at Bread:
- Manage a product engineering team, including professional development & leading them towards product delivery & success, meeting regularly with direct reports, providing frequent feedback on their work, helping individuals set goals to ensure employee growth & retention goals
- Work with senior engineering leadership to guide & influence the direction of the engineering organization
- Work actively with TPM to both understand & help develop the engineering roadmap
- Be accountable for leading design & implementation of new features & iterations of our core platform
- Block & tackle, when necessary, for engineers on your team
- Be data oriented & focused on what it takes to deliver reliable, scalable, & efficient products & technologies
- Identify & execute on opportunities to improve the software development lifecycle & processes
- Scale by delegating effectively; ensure tasks are completed as specified without micromanaging
What we are looking for:
- Experience managing and/or leading engineering teams
- Expertise building scalable, reliable distributed systems
- A passion for product, engineering & technology
- Experience with transactional RESTful API services with 24x7 availability
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages & data stores (such as: Go, Java, Rust, Postgresql, Redis, etc)
Nice to have:
- Proven experience managing/leading a 4+ person team
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, k8s, docker)
- Experience with Go/PostgreSQL/Rabbit/Redis
- Experience managing in an OKR & KPI environment
- Experience on agile teams
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC, Kafka, & Redis)
- Knowledge of financial products
- You enable your team at every chance you get
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers that set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included projects like Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, & Monitoring. Groups meet throughout each quarter to plan & then dedicate a full week to implement features requested by engineers. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and, over time, potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!
If this is you, submit a cover letter & resume to apply!