Full Stack Engineers sit side-by-side with user experience & product management to craft our consumer-facing applications. Part of being on this team is a love for building product youre proud to share with your friends & family. We strive for fluid, delightful user experiences. Youll need to leverage the entire software stack to help us realize these goals, & youll be a part of a team thats tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture & interaction.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, & access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve impossible problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, & repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. Youll work in small groups with other talented thinkers & figure out how to make Betterments revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers youll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Lets make it even better.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time & money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, & lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. Were a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. Were smart, innovative, energetic, & lots of fun.
Tackle tough business challenges:
- Integrate with real-time identity-verification services & our internal fraud-prevention system to create the fastest signup & funding process in the industry
- Work side-by-side with our investing team to build innovative, state-of-the-art financial advice algorithms, & then pair up with the design team to deliver an award-winning user experience powered by that advice
- Reinvent the financial advisor space by building next-gen customer management & analysis tools from scratch
- Partner with our retail, data & investment teams to bring Betterment's technology to a brand new market
You will be effective if you have:
- Have experience in at least one server-side language - Ruby, Java, C#, C++, Python. We build our apps inRuby on Rails
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms & data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, & for creating what doesnt exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- Appreciate agility & pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
Technologies you will use:
Engineering spends much of its time with the tools above, but we strive to always choose the best tool for the job. Youll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages & frameworks & will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs & other protocols.
Respect software craftsmanship:
- How do we architect high-performance internal APIs using contemporary RESTful frameworks, that facilitate rapid development of lightweight experiences, tools & visualizations?
- Whats the most maintainable way to support rapid experimentation within a constantly evolving user-experience without leaving a mess of if/else statements in our wake?
- What's the simplest way to build data intensive interactive elements that can be personalized & distributed broadly through a network of content partners?
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!