Headquartered in California & listed on the NYSE (NYSE:V), Visa is a global payments technology company that connects consumers, businesses, financial institutions & governments in more than 200 countries & territories to fast, secure & reliable electronic payments. The company employs over 17,000 people worldwide across 38 countries & provides digital payments products, services & processing to over 16,000 financial institution clients. Visa partners with 44 million merchant outlets & provides 3.3 billion Visa accounts throughout the world. Visa is one of the world's largest retail electronic payment networks. The company operates one of the world's most advanced processing networks, VisaNet, offering fraud protection for consumers & assured payment for merchants, capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. With a market capitalisation of circa $4000BN, Visa is one of the world's most valuable global brands (BrandZ 2019) & one of the world's most innovative companies (Forbes 2019).
Over the last 12 months, Visa made tremendous progress leading a dynamic industry & advancing the growth of digital payments globally. Against a backdrop of geopolitical challenges & uneven global economic conditions, Visa delivered outstanding financial & operating results.
In 2019, Visa completed four strategic acquisitions; Earthport (Earthport operates the largest independent Account Clearing House (ACH) network in the world, providing cross border payments), Payworks (enabling seamless omni-channel experiences), Verifi (improving ecosystem dispute chargebacks) & Rambus (extending tokenisation to non-card transactions). These acquisitions have furthered Visa's strategy to advance the growth of digital payments. With the combination of a partner driven business model to support growth through scale, Visa's strategic investments will help accelerate the company's growth & expand into key areas delivering new payment flows, services & capabilities, as well as expanding client reach. Accessing new & differentiated capabilities will ensure Visa is well placed to deliver a network of services built on the strong foundation for the company to be a truly global leader in payments.
Visa's mission is: to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable & secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses & economies to thrive. Visa enables money movement for everyone, everywhere.
In 2019, Visa made significant strides in advancing the goal to be a single connection point for initiating any transaction, both on the Visa network & beyond. With a relentless focus on innovation, this is the catalyst for Visa to spearhead rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, & a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. The company is able to provide the benefits of scale to investments with the ability to accelerate innovation. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying its brand, products, people, network & scale to reshape the future of commerce. 2018 witnessed Visa launching a $100M European investment program to support the thriving Fintech ecosystem in Europe & grow its investment activity in start-ups.
Visa is one of the best performing stock in the Dow 30. The company has recently reported a strong & healthy set of full year results (October 2019) with net operating revenues of $22.9BN, an increase of 11% from the year prior. Closing the fiscal year with strong momentum, delivering robust revenue & earnings growth fueled by double-digit increases in payments volume, cross border volume & processed transactions, Visa assumes a healthy outlook in FY'20. Earnings per share growth (EPS) was 18%, delivering an incredible performance globally with strong business operations in Europe.
Head of Government Engagement, Europe will be responsible for:
- designing Visa's EU strategy for government engagement & public policy to help drive Visa's business across the EU.
- for Visa's government engagement work with European Union institutions as well as national & subnational bodies throughout EU member states, Turkey, & Israel.
- leading the EU Government Engagement team in delivering against defined strategies & goals.
- ensuring that Visa's public priorities & interactions with the EU, national & sub-national government officials & regulators align with corporate objectives & regulatory requirements to drive business impact.
- Line management responsibility for the EU Government Engagement team, in partnership with Senior Vice President for Europe Government Engagement
- Responsibility managing the EU Government Engagement team budget
- Establish trust-based relationships at senior levels across governments & other key stakeholder groups in Europe. Regularly engage directly with lawmakers, regulators, & other external stakeholders to enhance Visa's brand, reputation & competitive position.
- Develop & implement an EU government engagement strategy, in close coordination with the Senior Vice President for Global Government Engagement, the Europe executive leadership team & other Visa regional business leaders, to achieve agreed objectives.
- Manage, develop, coach, & inspire a diverse team of experienced Government Engagement professionals to deliver to their full potential.
- Recommend & support appropriate contacts & communication channels between Visa's global & Europe executive leadership & senior government officials throughout the region. Facilitate regular face-to-face briefings with relevant regulators & government officials, leveraging Visa's regional & global business subject matter experts.
- Develop Visa's positions & advocacy strategies on priority legislative & policy issues in coordination with country management & in-market Government Engagement leads throughout the EU (excl. the UK).
- Seek to develop strategic policy positions that may foster potential business partnerships with national & sub-national government agencies who are engaged in the delivery of services & programs that may benefit from the application of electronic payments.
- Support Visa's in-market Government Engagement professionals located throughout the EU region (ex-UK) to establish proactive & constructive relationships with officials at key government agencies (e.g., central banks, Ministries of Finance, Ministries of Technology, etc.) including education of these officials about the value of Visa thereby improving the company's overall reputation.
- Work closely with Visa's Social Impact team, as well as regional governments to drive initiatives, on initiatives to promote financial inclusion, support small-micro entrepreneurs, & other important social impact policy priorities. Partner closely with regional Government Engagement professionals & country management throughout the region to build strategies & engagement plans that increase Visa's visibility on Social Impact priorities
- As an expert resource on regulatory issues & government affairs, assist Visa business teams, public officials, Visa clients (issuers, acquirers) etc. & partner with the Head of U.K. Government Engagement, with whom this role should be in close coordination on navigating payments & other laws & regulations relevant to Visa.
- Conduct a horizon scan to facilitate the influencing & shaping of any proposed new legal or regulatory developments potentially impacting the company in partnership.
- Be acutely aware of potential global implications of local & regional issues & coordinate their management with Government Engagement colleagues globally.
- Coordinate public engagement & communications activities with local, regional, & global colleagues across multiple functions including Corporate Communications, Marketing, Legal, Product, Risk & others to ensure consistency & maximum impact.
- Promote Visa's reputation & profile by speaking at public events, legislative hearings, industry conferences, association committees & roundtables, etc.
- Exemplify Visa's Leadership Principles in collaborating, partnering, & leading others in Visa, Government Engagement & outside of the organization.
- Sets strategy in relation to use of external regulatory agencies/consultants, & selecting & managing them appropriately.
- Manage EU Government Engagement team budget, supporting the overall Government Engagement strategy & Visa's priorities.
Ideal Background & Key Selection Criteria
- A minimum of 20+ years of experience designing & implementing strategy for government engagement & public policy across the EU, at least 10 of which in leadership roles leading geographically dispersed teams of senior professionals
- Candidates who bring a combination of leadership experience in both: governmental organisations as well as global corporates will be preferred
- Thorough understanding & significant practical experience of the EU Regulatory environment, laws & policies.
- Able to develop & articulate positions on complex public policy issues in Brussels & at the member state level. For Visa these include e.g. future of data & payments, & how to make the ecosystem more resilient.
- Capable of building & strengthening Visa's relationships with the European Central Bank, the European Commission, & other key financial regulators & policy makers.
- Supportive & engaging leader who enables & inspires others; self-confident, but not arrogant.
- Leads by example & is able to generate respect & loyalty from peers, superiors, & subordinates with a strong commitment to collaboration & servant leadership.
- Able to act independently but also within a team environment. Ability to grasp complex issues; proven manager of public policy process in a complex environment.
Global mindset in leadership
- Combination of political & commercially robust business acumen; understanding of both corporate & political environments. Creative & resourceful in overcoming barriers & unexpected roadblocks. Comfortable with ambiguous & change-led environments.
- Able to work collaboratively & effectively across jurisdictions & cultures, building strong relationships, influencing proactively & gaining results. Integrity & trustworthiness are critical success factors.
- Able to grasp complex issues; proven manager of public policy process in uncertain, volatile, ambiguous environments. Rigorous problem solving skills with the ability to get into the detail & acclimatize to see the bigger picture. A focus on people development, talent management & team building. Cross cultural sensitivity. Strong people management & leadership skills.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines & applicable local law.