SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. SUPPLY CHAIN RELIABILITY ENGINEER, SPECIAL PROCESS
The supply chain reliability engineering team is chartered with global quality surveillance of the supply base, reducing supply chain risk through external evaluations & internal risk reviews, leading failure investigations & proactively driving source qualification activities. As a special process supply chain reliability engineer, you manage & lead cross functional risk activities to meet technical, production, & regulatory requirements at the point of qualification & throughout the supplier's lifecycle. You would be responsible for monitoring for supplier flight risk & driving failure investigations to resolve issues immediately & effectively. As supplier surveillance activities deal with suppliers that support all areas of SpaceX, you would build an extensive network within materials & processing, build reliability, production, supply chain management, & a deep understanding of SpaceX systems & processes. This experience would enable you to become a critical voice in the development of group & company strategy.
- Act as the reliability engineering point of contact for all outsourced special processes, e.g., thin film coatings, thermal spray coatings, chemical processing, plating, thermal protection systems, etc. used on our vehicles & engines, solving emergent risks at suppliers & mitigating risk to the manifest by addressing high-impact quality challenges & escapes
- Interface with production operations, inspection, shipping/receiving, & engineering teams to develop appropriate quality signals & processes to meeting overall program reliability goals
- Drive changes that make the system more reliable, more manufacturable, & more efficient
- Lead cross functional supplier quality failure investigations in production, test & flight, identifying & mitigating the immediate & underlying root causes in order to quantify/reduce risk & improve reliability of designs & processes
- Coordinate failure resolution & follow-up actions to avoid further mishaps
- Responsible for containment actions associated with non-conforming product, including identification of product location, coordination with Build Reliability Engineers of potential flight risk & the coordination of actions required to identify root cause analysis
- Identify opportunities for risk reduction & removal of complexity in designs & processes to improve manufacturability, collaborating with integrated product teams to drive improvements & address high-impact & repeating non-conformances
- Review acceptance & qualification of new capabilities at suppliers
- Monitor supplier capabilities for unknown flight risk & work to resolve issues
- Assess changes in supplier processes & cross-functional impacts
- Run ongoing reliability risk review activities, including performing data reviews & executing mitigation plans
- Work with cross-functional teams to drive improved verification & changes for improved reliability
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment or process engineering role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in special processes such as thin film coatings, thermal spray coatings, chemical processing, plating, thermal protections systems or similar products/processes
- Masters degree in engineering or business
- Broad familiarity with the environmental protection systems used on parts for rockets/rocket engines
- Broad familiarity with the ancillary processes associated with the production of metallic parts, e.g., Non-destructive evaluation, heat treatment, etc.
- Technical capabilities including knowledge of 2D blueprints & model drawings
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes; production part approval process, advanced product quality planning, first article inspection reports, etc.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques & methods like design of experiments, Six Sigma, etc.
- Experience with quality systems (ISO 9000/TS/AS9100/NADCAP)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving - 8D
- Knowledge of lean concepts
- Experience with sharing information & influencing others; strong written & verbal communication skills, able to liaise cross functionally, internally & externally, make presentations to team members & management
- Experience with MRP or ERP systems
- Must be able to work extended hours, some nights and/or weekends when needed
- Must be able to travel - up to 25-50% work week travel may be required, including international travel
- Valid driver's license
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Supply Chain Reliability Engineer/Senior: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level & base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis & may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge & skills, education, & experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses & the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, & dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, & various other discounts & perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.