Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
About the Position
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Places team, youll help design & build out the platform, pipelines, tools, & automation systems that power Foursquares Places data. We use popular open-source technologies alongside a custom in-house storage & curation platform to cluster, clean, & synthesize data at scale. Our day to day work often involves complex distributed systems problems but we also handle our share of small data solutions & optimizing QA workflows.
Ideal candidates will be excited about implementing robust, data-oriented software systems in production but will also be capable at the messier aspects of digging into data quality problems & turning analysis into clearly communicated summaries & recommendations. In this role your contributions will impact our largest engineering team & one of the company's primary products.
In this role, youll
- Develop & design the core Places software platform
- Build systems which enhance the development speed & quality of our industry leading Places data
- Work closely with a team of talented software engineers to ship features
- Have direct customer impact through delivery of rapid improvements to our largest Fortune 500 customers.
What youll need
- 7+ years of industry experience building out scalable big data software products
- Strong communication skills both written & verbal, & experience setting the foundational technical direction for a team
- Ability to understand & contribute to unfamiliar systems or areas of the stack.
- Good judgment in design & architecture & technical strategy, including ability to translate requirements into a coherent vision that results in intentional design & practical steps to implementation.
- Persistence in the face of challenges, & ability to drive a project to completion.
- Proficiency with Java / Scala or willingness to learn
- Comfortable in a small & fast-paced startup environment
Nice to Have
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience around data analysis & techniques for evaluating data quality
- Experience working as part of a geographically-distributed team
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure, Ruby
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow, Luigi
- Frameworks: Spark, MapReduce, Scalding, Spring Boot
- Infrastructure: AWS, Hadoop, Kubernetes, Docker
- Other technologies: Postgres, Hive, HBase, MongoDB
Benefits & Perks
- Fully Flexible Workplace - work from home, one of our offices or a combination of the two!
- Unlimited PTO - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Industry Leading Healthcare - comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- Savings & Investments - 401(k) with company match
- Home Office Setup - you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family Planning & Fertility Programs - programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups - to help you stay connected
Things to know
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.