Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, & grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult & expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware & software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, & more. We're working to find new & better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms-and we're looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Much in the same way that Square revolutionized payments, Square Payroll is radically altering how employees get paid & businesses manage their finances. Our mission is to make running a business simple & personal by applying automation & an outstanding user-experience.
Our small, collaborative team has already built many foundational features & are now focused on improving & experimenting beyond a traditional payroll product. We want to transform the lives of people that make their living through our platform. We're an essential & growing part of the Square ecosystem & are using our position to build products & features that are beyond the capabilities of our competitors.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Payroll team, you will:
- Champion the needs of Square Payroll's small-business employer & employee customer base, through customer empathy, iteration, & service ownership
- Write clean, testable, peer-reviewed code, which will be a model for the team around you
- Technically lead a diverse portfolio of full-stack engineering projects
- Design the operation of an increasingly distributed architecture
- Advocate for change in quality, durability, reliability, & technical debt reduction, working directly with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, & other partners
- Revitalize services & architectures which have outlasted their original implementations, through refactoring, migration, & scale-ready, distributed architectural design
- Safeguard the privacy, security, & trust of our customers' sensitive data throughout our implementations, in partnerships with our Risk & Information Security teams
- A curious, passionate, growth-oriented mindset
- A desire to teach, improve, & otherwise force multiply the strengths of the engineers that surround you
- Led impactful engineering projects at non-trivial scale
- Expertise in at least one major programming language. Don't worry if you don't know our stack (yet), because we'll teach you
- Software design experience with distributed architectures that have seen growth
- BA/BS degree or equivalent working experience (5+ years preferred)
Bonus points if you also have:
- Familiarity with a major front-end framework
- Monitoring & observability expertise
- Experience building & deploying to cloud infrastructure
Technologies we use & teach:
- Ruby, Rails
- Ember, Glimmer, React
At Square, we value diversity & always treat all employees & job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, & talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name & preferred method of contact, & we will respond as soon as possible.