The Infrastructure Engineering teams are looking for experienced & passionate software & systems engineers to help in ensuring that customers around the world can access Squarespace sites reliably & quickly. We work together with the product teams to maintain the reliability of our features that are backed by a fleet of microservices, growing Squarespace's customer presence on the public Internet, & terminate internet traffic around the globe.
The Traffic team facilitates user requests from the public internet to the Squarespace infrastructure for millions of websites. Our job is to make sure those requests arrive at the correct backend safely, securely, & quickly. We manage all routing & Traffic infrastructure at Squarespace. This includes TLS termination & certificate renewal, application firewalls, response caches (Varnish), CDNs, L7 application load balancing, service to service communication through a Service Mesh based on Envoy Proxy, & Squarespaces external DNS providers.
We firmly believe in the SRE philosophy of applying software engineering methodologies to operational tasks. We communicate reliability with SLOs & know that if you cant measure it, you cant improve it. We create self-healing & self-orchestrating distributed systems. We operate multiple physical data centers & leverage this fact to our advantage with the ability to control every part of the entire stack. You will report to the team manager in NYC. Traffic is a remote-first team with members who work full-time from remote locations & members who frequently work from home.
At this time, all Squarespace employees are working remotely until June 2021. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 to determine if & when it is safe to return to our offices
- Build internal services like L4 & L7 load balancing, automatic TLS certificate renewal, application service discovery & dynamic routing (service mesh) between our data centers & public cloud providers, application firewalls, & self service configuration of routing systems for customer teams.
- Write high-quality & performant code that serves millions of websites securely, quickly, & reliably to the public internet & to Squarespaces global customer base. Create, own, & operate critical distributed systems that allow Squarespace to serve websites reliably.
- Share our on-call rotation & be an escalation point to assess complex problems in real-time across our high-traffic software systems.
- Lead by example & break down how you make decisions to help grow team members who are earlier in their career.
- Have technical discussions - both granular & high level - about technology without ego. Empathetic discussion allows the team to make the best decisions & technology choices to serve our users.
- Programming experience in at least one compiled language (Go, Java, C++, Rust) is preferred. The team works in Go & Java.
- 5+ years of experience building large-scale software & distributed systems in *nix environments & with technologies that run the internet such as TLS, HTTP (1/1.1, 2, QUIC/3), TCP,UDP, IP, anycast, multicast, & unicast routing.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, & software design practices. Understand paradigms for automatic & automated testing of distributed systems. Build tools that keep us shipping great code safely.
- Experience with Envoy, Linux containers, Kubernetes, Prometheus, or other CNCF software is a big plus. Experience with edge load balancing, Envoy, HAProxy, or other open source load balancers is also a big plus.
- BS, or MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent industry experience.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.