ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is seeking a Business Development Senior Manager to support the company through its next phase of growth. The position will report to the VP of Business Development to strategically grow revenue & develop new revenue streams across different products & divisions. The Business Development Senior Manager will be integral in theSkimms evolution to becoming a top tier media & lifestyle brand by building off of engagement while being forward thinking about revenue & monetization.
As a Business Development Senior Manager, you are responsible for building relationships with potential & existing partners, educating them on our offerings & initiatives, establishing an initial scope of work, & then fostering that relationship through ongoing campaigns. Youll also be responsible for creating strategies, proposals & pitch decks. Based on client briefings you will work closely with the appropriate internal stakeholders to deliver optimal business development & partnership solutions.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Understand theSkimms goals & purpose to support overall company growth
- Identify business development opportunities to expand & enhance revenue streams
- Perform market research & identify emerging markets & industry trends, staying informed of new products, target accounts & competitive landscape
- Build & maintain strong relationships with key external partners & decision makers
- Proactively prospect, qualify, grow, manage & maintain business development & partnership opportunities to meet targets
- Set up meetings between partner decision makers & theSkimm
- Handle initial calls with qualified leads to determine if partnership is aligned with theSkimms growth & business needs
- Develop strategic presentations as well as external facing pitches
- Drive partnerships & collaborate with project managers to ensure partnership deals are set up & implemented for long term success
- Coordinate project efforts across multiple teams including Sales, Marketing, Editorial, Legal, Design, Affiliate & other internal divisions across theSkimm to strike significant mutually beneficial long term deals
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of theSkimms purpose & revenue goals to drive growth in a fast-moving environment. Youre an ambitious & motivated individual with an insatiable curiosity & passion for building strong relationships. You have a can-do attitude & will be ready to roll up your sleeves to get the work done. You have a creative & strategic mindset to develop strong partnerships across the industry & will serve as a key-member within the organization.
- 4-7 years of experience in a Business Development, Strategic Partnerships, Advertising Sales or a similar role, preferably at a media or a start-up company
- Strategic, creative thinker with a proven track record of building out new business development strategies & tactics
- Strong understanding of the media landscape, experience hitting revenue targets & a creative approach to new business development
- Knowledge of trends & innovation in the marketing & digital ecosystem (social media, media, advertising, digital)
- Excellent writing, verbal communication & presentation skills
- Team player able to work well with different divisions across organization
- Ability to manage & prioritize multiple programs, partnerships & deliverables with hard deadlines
- Highly motivated self-starter that is extremely detail oriented
- Experience working at hyper-growth, fast-paced organizations
- Proficiency in Keynote
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.