Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build & scale the services powering our interactive web & mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely how it looks but how it works. With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to the Product Engineering Team Lead in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices & provides flexibility for our employees.
- Write server-side code, create high-volume production applications, & develop prototypes quickly.
- Develop new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services with Java
- Collaborate with other engineers & designers to provide strong customer-focused experiences.
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users & businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, & writing beautiful, readable code).
- Actively contribute to team & company standards.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Development experience in Java, Python, Go or another Object-oriented language. Experience developing large-scale software preferred.
- An understanding of, and practical experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, & software design practices.
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable code.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching & scalability.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.