Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planets unique Earth observation data products & services provide an unprecedented capacity for practical & cost-effective Forest & Land Use monitoring at scale. Imaging the full Earth daily, at <5m/px resolution & multiple spectral bands, at a fraction of the cost of traditional remote sensing technologies Planet aims to leverage this capacity to help improve forest monitoring systems as they exist today, & account for the value of forests in the global economy tomorrow.
The Program Manager of Forests & Land Use will help move our team forward in this effort! Reporting to the Senior Global Director of Forests & Land Use, this role will be instrumental in coordinating across internal & external stakeholders to help develop, deliver, & inspire adoption of new technologies for forest, climate, & sustainable land use solutions globally.
Impact Youll Own:
- Help develop partnership, product, & business strategies to bring new geospatial insights on forests, carbon, & land use to market;
- Support the success & growth of Planets Forests & Land Use solutions, customers, & partners, including internal stakeholder coordination activities across Planets Customer Success, Professional Services, & Sales Engineering teams;
- Support external engagement & coordination activities with relevant forest, climate, & land use industry & policy advocacy groups & initiatives;
- Help develop strategic messaging & content related to geospatial solutions for Forests & Land Use challenges, including support for field marketing;
- Act as an internal expert on Forests & Land Use market needs (including but not limited to sustainable landscapes, zero-deforestation commodities production & sourcing, REDD+ MRV) & product solutions (including but not limited to satellite monitoring, geospatial insights, & asset-level information), helping the Sales, Marketing, & Government Affairs teams develop related content & engagement with key stakeholders.
What You Bring:
- A deep understanding of & demonstrated passion for nature-based solutions, sustainable landscapes, & zero-deforestation economic development & how Earth observation & geospatial technologies can help us achieve them;
- 6+ years of experience in Forests & Sustainable Land Use, working in related science, policy, technology, management and/or advocacy, with GIS, EO, and/or ML experience preferred;
- Strong communications, partnership development, & relationship management skills;
- Comfort in program management & reporting, with experience in Government, NGO, and/or tech development environments preferred;
- A deep working knowledge of Forests, Climate, & Land Use policies, carbon markets, & Measurement, Reporting, & Verification methodologies, including but not limited to avoided deforestation, regeneration, & zero-deforestation production & sourcing;
- Creative & collaborative approaches to developing climate solutions & advancing geospatial science & applications.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, & other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.