Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features & a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms & industry veterans such as Peter Thiel & Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, & were looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board. As an engineering manager, you will build quickly-growing teams & support peoples development, build organizational processes, & work across the company to ensure your team is highly productive. Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven & diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
The Product Security team is responsible for building customer facing features, frameworks, tools & products related to security, privacy, fraud & compliance. We want our products to be security & privacy first. The engineering leader in this role will be managing & building a team of software engineers that empowers trust in Brex products. Were searching for people with a passion for supporting the people on their team, interested in developing the organization, rather than just being part of one, technical enough to deeply understand the systems theyre responsible for, & comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces, with a keen eye towards detail. Most importantly, you should be enthusiastic working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, & needs.
- Recruit great engineers, & help advance them in their careers.
- Empower the team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability & simplicity.
- Drive initiatives across the entire engineering organization.
- Work with engineers to design new systems, products & features.
- Uphold our high engineering standards & bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, & processes you will encounter.
- Collaborate with experts in product, design, & operations.
What We Value:
- Having a track record of building & leading successful engineering teams.
- Experience working in a high-growth environment, recruiting extraordinary people from different backgrounds.
- Leading by example, by setting the right context, & by helping others do their best work.
- Ability to flourish with an increased level of autonomy & responsibility.
- An eye for great products, & can work effectively with engineers, product managers, & designers to build them.
- Care for designing systems & building things correctly from day one, without cutting corners.
- Pride in working on projects to successful completion, involving a wide variety of technologies & systems.
- Holding yourself & others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise & backgrounds (we currently have around 30 nationalities represented, with more than the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
Engineering at Brex:
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, & as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies.
- Were big fans of functional programming, especially given the effect of bugs in this space! We work closely with the Elixir community, & are always looking at increasing our open source contributions more broadly.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Engineers are expected to understand & have product input, designing systems towards our long-term product vision.
- We'd rather have one strong, well-compensated engineer, instead of having 5 average engineers. Our customers are fine with fewer features, but are not ok with broken features.
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors & managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful.
- We believe in small, accountable & autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach & constantly improve our way of working.
- People have a strong sense of ownership & accountability for what theyre building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future.
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up & help us get to the truth faster.
Does Brex sound like home? We'd love to meet you! Please share with us details of what you've worked on & what matters to you (personally & from a technical standpoint). Don't worry too much about your resum. Be genuine, not official.