Do you have lean tech startup Executive Assistant experience + a mission-driven heart & wicked-smart mind? Leila Janah is looking for a brilliant EA to partner across her growing portfolio of mission-driven entities & endeavors.
Excerpt from Vogue's Globalism Issue, September 2018:
The most important way to fix global poverty is to improve peoples incomes, which means giving them work, says Leila Janah, the founder & CEO of anti-poverty nonprofits Samasource & Samaschool, & organic skin-care line LXMI. Janah, who grew up in Southern California, has experienced pervasive poverty firsthand after volunteering in Africa as a teenager. Since then, she has dedicated herself to correcting the systemic poverty worldwide. In 2008, she founded her company Samasource, which has employed more than 2,000 people (mostly women) from the slums of East Africa. Her beauty company, LXMI, the first fair-trade brand sold at Sephora, uses only raw ingredients, which are sourced from womens cooperatives in the region. Its 2018. You shouldnt have to choose between something that is beautiful & luxurious & something that does good in the world.
In this important EA hire, we need...
- An Entrepreneurial Mindset - Someone who thrives in an environment of intellectual & brilliant humans who are driven to improve the world and people's lives in real, measurable, & sustainable ways.
- Resilience & Mission Alignment - Leila and her teams are moving fast with strong conviction to better people's lives, so calibrating daily to our mission and impact is how and why we all pour ourselves in to these important organizations.
- An international travel booking and 24/7 calendar wizard & magic-maker!
- AI/ML/Innovative Tech Startup Experience to prioritize, negotiate demands & make things happen via instinct; someone with wicked smarts & "Blink" ROI-rationale
Location: This role is based in our NY, NY office.
Reporting directly to the Founder/CEO, the Executive Assistant provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal & external contacts on all matters pertaining to the CEO. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the board of directors & senior management teams & oversees special projects. The Executive Assistant must enjoy working within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven & results-driven. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written & verbal communication, administrative & organizational skills, & the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects from conception to completion, & must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities & confidential matters with discretion.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CEO including: managing multiple calendars & email accounts with high activity, completing expense reports, composing & preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential, arranging complex & detailed travel plans & itineraries, & compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Maintain the CEOs contacts in Salesforce, Prosperworks, Evernote & other systems.
- Plan, coordinate & ensure the CEO's schedule is prioritized to strategy goals. Provide "gatekeeper" role for direct access to the CEO's time & schedule.
- Work closely & effectively with the CEO to keep her informed of investor correspondence status, upcoming commitments & responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Schedule & plan Board Member meetings.
- Communicate directly, when asked, on behalf of the CEO with board members, donors & others, on matters related to CEO's initiatives. Very strong interpersonal skills & the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners & donors.
- Corporate Secretary duties: take meeting notes, compile & distribute official minutes, communicate action items, & provide support on required corporate documents.
- Research, prioritize, & follow-up on incoming emails, correspondence, issues & concerns addressed to the CEO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. This includes handling business cards, identifying & engaging with support personnel of VIPs, background research & briefing of VIPs expected at event.
- Determine appropriate course of action, referral, or response. Manage contacts & correspondence with such key individuals & Samasource team to ensure next steps are clear & follow-ups are scheduled - potential donors directed to development team, sales contacts directed to sales team, special event invitations/connections directed to event coordinator on marketing team, etc.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, & follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the CEO & internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust & support with senior management & staff. Create management meeting agendas & compile supporting decks/documents.
- Successfully complete critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting letters, personal correspondence, & other tasks that facilitate the CEO's ability to effectively lead the company. Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, & demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service & response.
- Review LinkedIn invitations/messages & social media posts.
- Vet inbound PR requests & answer press questions.
- Take calls with conference organizers on format & topics; complete online conference registrations.
- Provide occasional on-call support during early mornings, evenings & weekends.
- 5+ yrs work exp; 3+ yrs exp as a c-level executive assistant (founder experience is ideal!) & 2+ yrs AI/ML/innovative lean tech startup exp needed
- Fluency with MAC OS, Microsoft Office Suite, Evernote, Google apps & Salesforce
- Impeccable written & verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform & prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Emotional maturity
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Able to process, prioritize, & execute many assigned tasks on stringent timelines
- Ability to anticipate & resolve problems, follow through on execution
- Significant experience with supporting a CEO while she is out of the office on domestic or international travel
- Professional demeanor & dress appropriate for representing Samasource to external parties
- Ability to use a high degree of confidentiality with sensitive information
- Outgoing personality with a great sense of humor
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
- Sincere interest in social enterprises, & making a real difference
- Some travel as needed
- Occasional ability to work extended and/or irregular hours including nights & weekends
Samasource offers a full benefits package, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance, short- & long-term disability insurance, AD&D insurance, employer-matching 401K, generous holiday & vacation policies, sabbaticals, paid disability, parental, & baby bonding leave, a monthly gym stipend, & professional development opportunities. We pride ourselves on being a diverse & equal opportunity employer.