Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is looking to add a Director of Store Development to the Retail Team. The Director of Store Development will oversee the design & construction of all retail & wholesale projects in North America. The Director will oversee a small team whose responsibilities will include partnering with the experience team on developing concepts, developing the concepts into buildable projects, & partnering with key internal & external functions to build on-time, on-budget stores & projects.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, & is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, & its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, & a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, & its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse & inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When youre not catching zzzs, this is what youll do
- Oversee a small team of designer/construction managers in designing & executing retail stores & in-store shops in conjunction with experiential marketing teams other environmental projects
- Develop relationships with & oversee outside architects & engineers, lighting designers, expeditors, & other professional relationships incumbent with the professional design & construction of retail stores & shops
- Partner with experience teams & creative marketing teams to ensure that non-shop projects are successfully executed within identified schedule & budget parameters
- Develop & execute best practices in budgeting, bidding & negotiating (where appropriate) millwork, materials bulk orders, decorative & visual props, lighting & GC services.
- Develop offshore manufacturing & /or procurement of the above items where appropriate
- Direct best practices in logistics for store projects associated with on-time construction of stores
- Collaborate with key partners in developing an efficient & scalable system for building stores & conducting NSO turnover & store opening process
- Partner with experience team, retail team, finance, legal & marketing to ensure a well-documented, replicable, & efficient process for building stores & shops
- Develop store design & construction drawings & communication standards that allow for efficient filing & storage of project files & documents
- Report to the SVP of Retail & Retail Partnerships
Our dream candidate is...
- A degree in Architecture, Interior Design, or Construction Management with clear demonstrable experience in the disciplines not covered in higher education
- Minimum 7-10 years working within a brand store design & construction department building first class stores in street & development environments
- Experience developing & installing in-store shops in partnership with wholesale (partnership) accounts as well as familiarity with cost sharing relationships with wholesale accounts
- Long term experience with drawing & detailing stores, shops & associated millwork Experience with VE processes within the parameters of maintaining brand standards
- Significant field experience in building stores in multiple venues including A-level malls, street locations, lifestyle centers, department stores & big box stores. Field experience partnering with tenant coordinators, local expeditors & GC PMs & Supers
- Professional knowledge of materials, assemblies, construction means & methods & associated timelines & budgets
- Experience working for an Architect / Engineer, General Contractor, Millworker, Fabricator or materials supplier is preferable although not mandatory
- High level ability to read architectural drawings & understanding of basic code, ADA & energy code compliance is required. Ability to review a completed bid or construction set of drawings is mandatory. General understanding of Trade Union requirements is required
- Adept knowledge of The Microsoft Suite with particular emphasis on excel & a working knowledge of AutoCad Light including ability to lay out plans, correspond with Architects to red line drawings is mandatory. Knowledge of associated programs including SketchUp is helpful
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, & equity so that youre part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, & dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy & fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks & coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if youre feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!