Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the role
The Education team at Cockroach Labs is responsible for the free, online documentation & training that help developers learn & use CockroachDB.
Were looking for an experienced Software Engineer to develop & maintain the tools & infrastructure supporting all of the Education teams work, from our build & publishing pipelines to third-party integrations for external functionality & internal productivity to the UX of our education sites. Youll work closely with Education Managers, Technical Writers, & Curriculum Developers to understand the current tools, processes, & challenges & scope solutions. Everything you work on will have a direct & measurable impact on Cockroach Labs business metrics & trajectory.
The ideal candidate will have broad experience in unix, git workflows, automation, cloud infrastructure, & continuous integration & will enjoy working on a variety of different problems from project to project. You should also enjoy providing direct support & help to Education team members; a customer service mindset is crucial for this role.
- Understand the daily workflows of technical writers & curriculum developers across the team & identify ways to increase productivity & reduce friction.
- Manage & optimize the tools, infrastructure, & integrations for building & delivering our docs & training sites.
- Collaborate with infrastructure engineers & web developers across the company for shared knowledge & best practices.
In the first month, you will become an integrated member of our Education team. Youll become familiar with our Education tools & workflows & get to know your team members. For example, youll learn how we use GitHub, Jekyll, Algolia, & Netlify to build & publish our docs & Open EdX, GitHub, & YouTube to deliver our online training, & youll talk with writers & curriculum developers about their day-to-day work & challenges.
After your first month, youll move from learning our tools & workflows to optimizing & maintaining them, with a focus on the parts that are most critical to the teams immediate productivity & success.
By the end of the third month, you will be a fully-contributing member of the Education team & will be proposing & scoping projects moving forward.
Desired experience level ranges from mid to staff level. At a minimum, this role requires:
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Ability to quickly pick up new skills & emerging technologies
- Experience with automation & scripting on unix
- Experience with Git/GitHub & CI pipelines
- Exceptional communication skills with a service mindset & desire to collaborate
Reporting to Jesse Seldess - VP of Education
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.