Purpose builds & supports movements to advance the fight for an open, just, & habitable world. We use public mobilization & storytelling to help leading organizations, activists, businesses, & philanthropies engaged in this fight, & we create campaigning labs & new initiatives that can shift policies & change public narratives when it matters most.
To do this, Purpose brings together world-class talent from the world of creatives, content development, storytelling, campaigning, grassroots organizing, & political strategy to build new creative campaigning models.
Guided by smart strategy & powered by participation, our work reframes issues, engages new audiences, shifts public discourse, & ultimately drives targeted action & creates lasting impact. Join the team that made all this work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Creative Team Summer Intern at Purpose, you will gain hands-on experience developing & executing movements, working with an incrediblydiverse team of thinkers whose common goal is nothing less than to change the world.You will work within the Creative department at Purpose to learn about creative campaigning & how Purpose uses these tools to build movements. You will also participate in various projects to help develop Purpose as a company overall. You will have a Development Manager whose role is to guide you throughout the summer & ensure that your time is spent making an impact for Purpose & our partner organizations with the goal of creating participatory campaigns to tackle the worlds toughest social problems.
Your internship will run from mid-June through most of August & can be flexible as Necessary according to school calendars. Interns will be based out of our NYC office. All interns receive a monthly stipend.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with an Associate Creative Director & creative team members
- Translate Purpose strategy into compelling messages
- Contribute to creative campaigns from idea to execution
- Participate in identifying opportunities for internal growth & contribute to internal Purpose-wide initiatives as they arise
- Provide fresh copywriting insight to help support the following:
- Creating behavioral change
- Community-building & organizing
- Converting online activity to offline action
- Potentially assist internal teams with client, funder, & partner proposals
We think you will be a successful candidate if you:
- Are currently enrolled as a student in good standing at an academic institution with plans to return to school for the upcoming school year
- A portfolio that demonstrates conceptual thinking
- A unique voice
- A creative problem solver
- A self-starter
- A desire to do great, social impact work
- The ability to take direction
- The ability to work independently
- Equity-minded creative perspective
- Have experience in one or more of the following: political or issue-based campaigning, brand or innovation strategy, social media strategy, social innovation, or social entrepreneurialism
- Have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with poise & good humor
- Bring a strong work ethic, along with stellar communication skills (verbal, written & listening), a positive attitude, enthusiasm, professionalism, ambition, curiosity, & rigor in all that you do!
Purpose is an equal opportunity employer. Purpose takes on some of the biggestchallenges in the world, which affect people of different identities & backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger & most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals & people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
OTHER APPLICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
Please include any relevant examples of graphic design or branding work, or alink to your creative portfolio.Please apply with your resume & cover letter through the jobs page on ourwebsite, https://www.purpose.com/jobs/.Application closes April 18th, 2018. Applicants will be notified about the result oftheir application no later than mid-May.
For our summer interns, we want to learn a bit more about you personally! Yourcover letter, in addition to detailing your relevant experience, should answerthese key questions about you (your cover letter should be no longer than 2 pages max):
- What about Purposes work resonates with your own studies or future aspirations?
- As a Purpose intern, what could you bring to the team that would set you aside from anyone else, including passions & skills outside of your educational focus
- Purpose is dedicated to creating an open, just, & habitable society, both internally for folks at Purpose, & in the world. Share an experience or story about how you have demonstrated a dedication to creating a more equitable community or world more broadly.